One reason why I'm buying my own gear!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

When I go on vacation I usally dive with people I do not know as my travel partner does not dive. So I bring all my own gear, including my weights. I know that ridiculous to bring your own weights but I do. I also bring a spareair. And everytime I pull it out of my stuffed dive bag people look at me like I am some sort martion. I have no idea why. Than on the first dive of the trip I have to fill it. I had one DM tell me that I did not need it. I told him I hope I don;t but if I do it will be there.

JonasDolkart:
When I go on vacation I usally dive with people I do not know as my travel partner does not dive. So I bring all my own gear, including my weights. I know that ridiculous to bring your own weights but I do. I also bring a spareair. And everytime I pull it out of my stuffed dive bag people look at me like I am some sort martion. I have no idea why. Than on the first dive of the trip I have to fill it. I had one DM tell me that I did not need it. I told him I hope I don;t but if I do it will be there.
Do you take your weights on flights too?
Don't you think it's a little bit overkill? I agree concerning the rest of the gear but weights? I take my weights too when I travel by car :wink:
Oren

The other thing besides having your own gear and setting it up yourself...never ever worry what others (other divers) think of you, and/or how you wish to go about setting things up...not to say that they do not have good advice and tips...but, ultimately, how you feel in the water and on the dive is up to you...so bring your spare air and tell the DMs to go jump in the sea.

Regarding third world travel and diving...always rely more on yourself and your own instincts...but, take the time to observe and learn from the local situation. If the dive operation in question is run by a bunch of local fishermen in a leaky boat...forget it, not worth the trouble. Believe me, I have dived with some Mexican operations that had me on a good bit of surge diving...rough diving...then again, I have dived with some Mexican operations that were completely professional and up to date.

With travel, with setting things up...always pay attention...ask questions.

Take care.

Used rental gear one time in Cozumel due to all of our luggage and gear being lost by Continental.
Actually rented real nice Scuba Pro BCD and Regulator in like new and well maintained condition. The only bad piece of gear I got was a plastic buckle weight belt they handed me on the boat. Guess what failed. Thats right, I almost lost that belt at 90' because it was so warn out it wouldn't hold. I don't lug weights with me but I always take my trusty depth compensating stainless steel buckle and belt with me.
Best twenty bucks I ever spent. Buy your own, maintain it, trust it!

Hop Devil:
Used rental gear one time in Cozumel due to all of our luggage and gear being lost by Continental.
Actually rented real nice Scuba Pro BCD and Regulator in like new and well maintained condition. The only bad piece of gear I got was a plastic buckle weight belt they handed me on the boat. Guess what failed. Thats right, I almost lost that belt at 90' because it was so warn out it wouldn't hold. I don't lug weights with me but I always take my trusty depth compensating stainless steel buckle and belt with me.
Best twenty bucks I ever spent. Buy your own, maintain it, trust it!
Happened to me too.
My belt buckle failed still on the boat though.
Almmost lost my little toe :wink:
Oren

vjongene:
Your story reminds me of one of my early dive experiences, with a very similar outcome.

My son and I were both "newbies" with less than 20 dives' experience. The only equipment we owned were masks, snorkels and fins... We were on vacation in Brazil, and decided to go dive on Fernando de Noronha for a few days. There are few dive ops on the island, and we chose the one that looked most serious (Atlantis Divers). They rented us BCs and regulators, and showed us where we could find wet suits. We should have started being suspicious when we realized that the only instrument attached to the regs was an SPG. No depth gauge. No compass. And of course no bottom timer or computer. I should have checked the competition at that time, but I somehow suspect that it would have been no different.

We went for three two-tank outings with them. We were in groups of half a dozen with a single DM. I remember one dive quite clearly. In his very abbreviated briefing, the DM told us that we would be diving to 35m. I remarked that my son and I were not qualified to go to that depth. He just scoffed and said we would be perfectly safe. We made the dive, much of which consisted in trying to keep up with the group while finning against a strong current. When we finally caught up, my air was down to about 30 bar. To his credit (such as it is...), the DM aborted the dive, and gave me his octopus until we surfaced.

While no actual incident occurred during the dive, a lot of things were wrong:

- we had no idea of how deep we were
- while I knew I was running low on air, making an ascent would have separated us from the group; moreover, I was not confident that I could have made a safe ascent from that depth without a depth gauge
- the DM has no idea that there was a problem because he could not see us for much of the dive

I could go on. Probably, diving on Fernando de Noronha using rental gear was foolish to begin with. In many countries, the dive op would have been called to order for not following basic safety procedures. I should have called off this dive, and maybe given up diving on the island altogether. But we had paid a lot of money to be there...

The experience taught me a few things, though. When we got back home, I bought proper gear for my son and myself. No matter where we go, we bring at least our own regs and computers. We enrolled in a rescue level class, and keep practicing skills and emergency procedures. And I would gladly go to Fernando de Noronha again, this time with the knowledge that we can handle most situations and aren't dependent on DMs anymore.

Victor J.

I hadn't seen this thread before so I hadn't commented earlier but your story really surprises me. I have been a few times to Noronha and know the operator involved and the general diving practices of all the operators on the island.

I would be really curious to know what year this was.
I saw from your profile that you qualified in 1999 and you mentioned less than 20 dives so I imagine it was 1999 or 2000.

The same operator won prizes for the Best NAUI Facility and Best PDIC Facility in 2002 and 2003. It's also a PADI / IANTD / TDI / GUE / CMAS training centre.

They are the best operator there for Tech diving with Trimix. They also have rebreathers and scooters available.

Normally, diving in Noronha is much like going to Disney in the sense that it is very safe, they put a DM leading the group and another DM at the back to close the group and keep an eye on everybody.

As for diving 35m without a depth gauge - no way!!! If that's what they wanted you to do, you should have refused outright and demanded a refund.

If you get the chance, go back to Noronha, I think you'll find that what happened was way off norm.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom