One thing at a time

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

medfly3d

Reaction score
# of dives
Good morning everyone!

The feel the place that I've found to do my OW classes is a good choice. I can take as long as I want until I'm comfortable, make up my own hrs and use all of their gear through it all. Allthough I will pick up my gear one thing at a time so that I can learn how to use it during class.

I know this is an old question but... I feel that I am a little overwhelmed on getting gear. (or maybe I'm over investigating) So let me just start with a reg. I don't know if some of the web pages are up to date so that what I'm looking at isn't two yrs old. The shop services Dacor, ScubaPro, Poseidon and Sherwood. I need help on choosing a reg that has a good rep and that works well in cold water. I live in Michigan but I will only be diving in the warmer months. If other brands are better then I'll look for another shop to who service that brand.
:confused:

Thanks in advance for all your advise!

All of these companies make good regulators. Someone will correct me if I'm wrong but I think that Poseidon and Scubapro make regs for cold water diving. Apeks is another choice. The ones for cold water are higher end regs because they are environmentally sealed. One of the things environmental sealing does, among others, is to add some protection from the reg freezing up. I don't know how cold the water is you will be diving in. You may not need a cold water regulator at all though, and I kind of think you won't. Some of the others who dive the Geat Lakes will be along to help you more than I can. BTW...Not an "odd" question at all.
And Welcome to Scuba Board!!!

I'll be doing my diving in the summer months so I don't think I'll need a reg for the arctic but I don't want to have to worry that it might freeze up on me. Maybe some other Michiganders can help me out with this. Until I get comfortable, I'll probably just stay in the inland lakes before I venture into the big ones. I am near Lake St. Clair but visibility is poor. Also I'd like to mention that I would like to stay in an affordable/ moderate price range, but I don't want to get too cheap on quality. Breathing is very important to me!

Another vote for the Scubapro MK17. Good reg, more than adequate flow rate for any diving situation (caves, wrecks, ice, anything). Instead of the un-adjustable S555, I would recommend the G250HP or the S600, which are essentially the same exact reg internally. (S600 has a smaller case). Many people are weary of the X650 because of the recall history. You may also want to wait for the G250V which has a metal air barrel (less dry mouth). The MK19 is supposed to come out soon, it is a MK17 with a swivel. The reg is env. sealed meaning that it can be dived in any temperature or enviroment. Avoid the MK25 for cold water; it freezes up in very cold waters. Any reg is good above 50 degrees (I dont know how cold the lakes are in the summer time)

I have no direct experience with the Apeks, but the DS4 and anything higher are all very popular regs for cold water. If you like a swivel, go with the DST first stage. The sherwood has a feature that releases a stream of very tiny bubbles that keep the first stage from icing up. All first stages in Sherwood line are the same. The Poseidon is also a great reg, but servicing prices are somewhat high. The initial price is higher with the Poseidons. the Apeks and the Scubapro MK17 are all in the moderate price range, with poseidon on the high end.

Thanks alot! This really helps. As far as I can tell, the average temp in the Great Lakes is 50 - 60 depending on the lake and depth. It's hard to find info on the web for average summer water temps for the lakes.

Go with the MK17 and S600. The MK17 is rock solid in cold water, (I have a MK25 but I don't dive very cold water) The S600 is one of the easiest breathing second stages out there. I have one and it is fantastic.

Back
Top Bottom