Online Dive Vendors/Dealers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

oleras:
c:see prev post, if i try in one "real store", too expensive, and buy in another, be it real or online, whats wrong with that ?
This is a violation of Jewish law, and basically outright rude.
It's called "Stealing the shopkeeper's time".
It's one thing if it's a sporting goods store and the only time you request from the cashier is "Which way to the dressing room"... that's fine... but if you request and receive any level of personal attention, you owe that shopkeeper the sale.

I have nothing against buying online... I do it all the time. Ebay as well... but I don't use the LDS to find out if I want something and then go online to buy it. That would be no better than buying a reg or BC online and asking the LDS to check it out for you without offering something in exchange.

owe them a sale ? if after trying it on they wont reduce their price ?...no wonder they keep their prices high.....some people feel obliged to buy from them.

oleras:
owe them a sale ? if after trying it on they wont reduce their price ?...no wonder they keep their prices high.....some people feel obliged to buy from them.
You knew their price was higher than you were willing to pay before you took their time away from other customers. You can begin price negotiations before taking too much time. If it becomes apparent that they won't bend on their prices, thank them for their time and walk away, but don't "tease" them with a sale when you fully intend to buy somewhere else.
That's immoral.
Find a shop with agreeable prices, take their time, and give them your money. If you're going to buy online, then "best guess" the size and if it's wrong, most online vendors are willing to work with you on a correction... though you may have to eat the shipping.

Like I said... I buy online, and I ALWAYS shop for the best value. When shopping for VALUE, I include attention from the shopkeeper in that equation. I have no problem paying 5-10% more if it buys me exemplary service.

RichLockyer:
You knew their price was higher than you were willing to pay before you took their time away from other customers. You can begin price negotiations before taking too much time. If it becomes apparent that they won't bend on their prices, thank them for their time and walk away, but don't "tease" them with a sale when you fully intend to buy somewhere else.
That's immoral.
Find a shop with agreeable prices, take their time, and give them your money. If you're going to buy online, then "best guess" the size and if it's wrong, most online vendors are willing to work with you on a correction... though you may have to eat the shipping.

Like I said... I buy online, and I ALWAYS shop for the best value. When shopping for VALUE, I include attention from the shopkeeper in that equation. I have no problem paying 5-10% more if it buys me exemplary service.

If the price difference between the LDS and mail order is only 5-10% most folks would buy from the LDS. The fact that you can walk out with the product that same day is certainly worth something, plus the fact that you get to examine and test (if applicable) the exact item before you pay. If you have a problem you do not pay for return shipping and experience the additional delays either. My problem is that I have seen price differences that can be as much as 50%. I AM willing to pay for service but my generosity has its limits.

scubatoad:
problem is that I have seen price differences that can be as much as 50%. I AM willing to pay for service but my generosity has its limits.
Same here, but I'm not going to wast my time, nor the shopkeeper's time, in such a shop. Those shops will get one visit, and only a return visit if it's a matter of "I have to have XYZ part now and I don't care what it costs"

Get the online prices and dicker with your dealer. Then you get the best of both worlds. Just got a new BC from the LDS for almost exactly what it would have cost mail order plus shiping. Everybody wins!

The warrenty thing can be beat by paying online with a CC that covers your purchases for a year,( got that idae here).

This topic really, really gets my goat.

There... that being said, maybe I can let the damn thing lie and walk away.

Grrrrr.....

In my case I was perfectly prepared to buy my new BC from the LDS. However, they only carried one brand of women's BC (Seaquest Diva LX) with a price tag of $675. With tax this comes to about $700. The more moderately priced Genesis Athena is very similar and my research showed they were a Sherwood/Genesis dealer. I asked if they could get this BC in for me, but I was told the manufacturer dropped them because they didn't sell enough of their products. Go figure. The manufacturers pretty much dictate to the the LDS the MSRP and how much product they need to sell to remain a dealer. Go figure. So, the consumer wants a product, the LDS would love to sell it to them, but the manufacturer says you can't sell it because you don't sell enough? I can't see this business model sustaining itself for much longer. I took my business online and bought the Athena from Scuba Toys for $300. Because they are also a storefront LDS who sells online I have a full manufacturers warranty. I also have the BC that I want at a price that fits my budget. If Seaquest and Scubapro want to continue to compete in todays market I only see change as inevitable.

oleras:
a: most online stores WILL give a warranty...
They CAN NOT give a MFG warranty, as most online stores are not authorized dealers. They may choose to give their own, store warranty, which is only good at their store.

c: see prev post, if i try in one "real store", too expensive, and buy in another, be it real or online, what’s wrong with that ?...
Well, I suppose it depends upon intent. If you went there with the honest intent of buying it there, then nothing. The had an honest shot at your business and lost it. But if the store was only used to see, touch and try the item and perhaps get some advice, with the intent of buying it elsewhere....well that is just IMHO dishonest and a theft of time and services (yes they are providing you a service for which there is no intent of paying via the purchase of equipment). I also learned years ago that there is more to purchasing an item than the price, service counts too and that includes advice, loaner equipment when my stuff is in the shop etc.
d: that’s between the store and MFG, not me...simple economics....would you rather sell 1 piece of EG at 300 and make 100 or 10 pieces at 250 and make 500 ?...
Agreed. but the stores have no choice in the matter, the mfg sets the rules. Secondly, the reality of marketing is that in any geographic area there is only so much business to be had. The online store has the advantage here of the world, the LDS does not. MFG prohibit, in most cases internet sales.

Bottom line, the physical stores have a lot of overhead the online stores don't:
1. An experienced sales staff to man the store from 9-9
2. A large retail facility with ample floor space so you can move around the spacious isles and see and touch the merchandise, and perhaps even an onsite pool.
3. Lights for a well lighted attractive sales floor (warehouses don’t need as much.
4. Carpet, and a people and equipment to clean the store
5. Shoplifting losses
6. Heat for that large floor space.
7. Water for the pool
8. Local State, county, and city sales tax.
8. Air compressor so they can sell air. Only one online store that I have heard of sells air for diving, and I would not dive a tank using their online fill system. :wink:

Bottom line is we need local dive shops. Yes some are thiefs and charge way too much or make and endorse videos of riding angles sharks and deserve to go out of business.

But answer this, where would your diving be without a local dive shop?

Yes there prices will be highter, because they have to be. Their expenses are higher and there is not much they can do about that if they want to stay in business. but we need them, for air, and lessons. I will agree that some stores charge way too much.

I myself use a large chain store as my LDS for two reasons, they are only 1 mile from my house and the nearest other LDS is more like 7 miles and I have to drive past the chain store to get there, and second, the other store, well, lets just say the owner needs a class in marketing.

I do not own a dive shop, I am a business owner and understand their expenses.

Wildcard:
The warrenty thing can be beat by paying online with a CC that covers your purchases for a year,( got that idae here).

That really doesn't help much. Find an online dealer that can provide warranty is probably the key. I don't think Master Card will notify you if there is a recall on your boot legged, gray market goods. Pretty sure Visa will not pay for your annual rebuild kits, And American Express will not offer replace the HP seat on a reg after 6 months if it fails.

Might help if it gets lost or stolen... but the main part of warranty is tracking and service of life support gear in case of recalls, upgrades, and parts.

Just check with the manufacturer and find out if the on line shop you are buying from is an authorized dealer.

Back
Top Bottom