Online Fish Guide

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ohonu

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
A little back ground. My wife and i are both divers. My wife has a night shirt that has various reef fish printed on it. My 3 year old likes to play the name that fish game. This morning, he found a fish we couldn't identify. I have checked my guides and i can't find it, so i went online looking for an online guide. Everything i found pointed me to books or charts to purchase.

So how about it. Anyone know where an "Online Guide" is located?

Many thanks in advanced!

A little back ground. My wife and i are both divers. My wife has a night shirt that has various reef fish printed on it. My 3 year old likes to play the name that fish game. This morning, he found a fish we couldn't identify. I have checked my guides and i can't find it, so i went online looking for an online guide. Everything i found pointed me to books or charts to purchase.

So how about it. Anyone know where an "Online Guide" is located?

Many thanks in advanced!

You could give this site a try. I couldn't find much either.

Coral Reef Creatures - Pacific and Red Sea Fishes

Hmm... that would be a really cool community-based project. Identify a bunch of fish in our underwater photography, and then collect that information in a useful format online...

(And it seems really useful to me primarily because I've never seen a full compendium online anywhere.)

Wow... information overload... (but it should only be a few weeks before I figure out what I'm doing there... assuming fishbase isn't always *quite* this slow). :D

Hmm... that would be a really cool community-based project. Identify a bunch of fish in our underwater photography, and then collect that information in a useful format online...

(And it seems really useful to me primarily because I've never seen a full compendium online anywhere.)

You would think with all the people from all over the world on this board, we could build the largest publicly accessible fish identification program in the world.

Sounds like a great project. I have pics to donate to the cause.

I always start my fish search at the Ichthyology department of FL Museum of Natural history website.
This area of the website is also fun for kids.
Good luck!

try www.fishbase.org probably the most comprehensive fish guide out there on the net

HOLY CRAP I'VE FOUND NEMO!

ahem...sorry....:dork2::lotsalove:

Neat site, unless I've missed it (admittedly I'm a bit slow on the uptake some days) I'd like to see something that has pictures that you can match up to see if you can find that bugger you were chasing on the reef...(and took the blurry pic of)

I had to wander through the books at some of the shops I was going through to identify a few (without paying for the book) that I couldn't find on my "reefcombers guide" card....

(edit: DUH....) You also may try uploading a photo of what you can't identify, there are a LOT of people here that have more knowledge than they admit to having! (plus it worked for me with a fish I couldn't identify last year)

Back
Top Bottom