Online Scuba Sources

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mchiapetto

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
We just got our OW cert and now are ready to start buying some equipment. We already have mask, fins and snorkel. We are thinking about getting a BC next.

There are only 2 LDS in the area and neither has very good prices. What online sites are around that you have found are good to use? We would appreciate any input and recommendations.

Also, we are thinking of buying gear in the following order:
1. BC
2. Exposure suit
3. regulator and gages
4. computer

We will probably only be able to buy a little bit each year. And we may only dive 2 or 3 times a year. We will rent what we can not buy until we are able to get our own.

What do you think of our approach?

If you are only planning two or three dives a year it is no way cost effective to purchase all your equipment.

For the cost of servicing your regs each year you are going to be able to afford to hire all your equipment 2 or three times over.

If however you are going to buy equipment I would look at buying some top regs and a computer before purchasing a BCD.

As all the BCD does is hold air, and they all do it well, hiring them is no problem.
A good set of regs you will not always find when you hire equipment. And more often than not you dont get a computer on hire gear.
SO I would purchase your equipment like so
Suit
Regs and computer at the same time
then lastley a BCD

Also a good set of regs will last you for many many years. But after a few hundred dives you may find you want a different type of BCD be it jacket or wings. So hold off on the BCD purchase.

Or try and find a package deal there are plenty round with intrest free periods so get all your kit now and pay it off over the next 2 years.

I will let others comment on the WebSite purchasing as I live in Australia. However I have used this mob a few times with no problems/.

http://www.diversdiscount.com/

Regards
Chris
PADI MSDT
http://homepage.mac.com/sydney_diver

I would prob buy the computer first then the reg (both if you can afford it) the computer is one of the best investments you can make if u are new to diving - in my opinion. New divers generally have problems with slow assent rates - computers with a bar grapth accent rate monitor can help with monitoring that, some models include the 3 minute safety stop count down - again increasing safety. Computers monitor NDL times and if you end up going deeper or longer than expected (both common occurances in new divers diving with groups) then the computer still gives u accurate advice on NDLs and finally if you do more than 2 dives aday the computer revises your NDL according to your indervidual nitrogen loading.

Look long and hard at any dive gear - try before you buy is a great idea and ask people with plenty of experence what to get.

My advice is a Suunto Vyper computer - it can be used with higher gear, very easy to understand and use (very important if you don't dive alot), accent rate bar graph (suunto have very slow accent rates), nitrox (which u may end up doing at some stage, and NDL s can be dialed down to increase the diver safety.

ScubaMedic

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom