Online scuba students...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

leeblackman

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I wanted to continue the thread for the poor guy who feels like he got screwed on onlinescuba.com. Honestly, I feel like the local dive shops in his area are really the ones screwing him, and themselves out of a new diver to the sport and future business.

Now I didn't take scuba online, but I know that there are NO laws in the united states governing the sport of scuba diving and its certifications. Basically the existing certification agencies are accredited to no one but themselves. And this in its own is a problem. Because the only people who uphold their rules are their members, ie the dive shops. And in a way its good, because it protects people from themselves, but on the other hand who gave them the right to do so?

Dealing with Dive shops in general is both a pain and a blessing. Typically as long as you start with them from day one, they are great to work with, local. But as soon as you try to bring in an outside element they become defensive. For example trying to take the online scuba classes. Obviously taking classes online will only get you the textbook knowledge you need. Might as well buy a book from a bookstore and teach yourself right? Why not? I mean in theory you can certify yourself to dive! Yes, absolutely. Even have your own card printed up. But dive shops will hate this because they loose money. So they will not cooperate or help you if you didn't start with them.

So what it boils down to is that onlinescuba isn't any type of a rip off. There are better ways to learn to scuba, but its basically like buying a book and teaching yourself. Its better to have an experienced professional teach you hands on.

I would have assumed that onlinescuba.com would have some type of support network for assistance if you had questions. Otherwise they would literally just be an online book. And in theory if they wanted their business to flourish, rather than push the student out on their own to find a dive shop or instructor to continue their education with, onlinescuba should have an established network of shops and instructors willing to work with students that they could contact nationally to work. Say even a list the student could punch in their zip code and get the closest results. If they don't already do so.

And just a note to any shop owners out there, when one of the students comes to you, rather than try to run the out of your shop, why don't you look at them as a potential customer and offer a discounted rate for just the pool portion of the class. I mean after all, that person might end up buying fins, snorkels, bc's and other gear from you. But on the other hand you could refuse any compromise from the way you work, require full price, and they will take their business elsewhere. And you have also discouraged a future diver. Let alone with the harsh economical times we are endouring, eventually run yourself outta business...

., I feel like the local dive shops in his area are really the ones screwing him, and themselves out of a new diver to the sport and future business..

How did the local dive shops screw him? He chose to go to onlinescubalessons.com instead of a LDS.

I know that there are NO laws in the united states governing the sport of scuba diving and its certifications. Basically the existing certification agencies are accredited to no one but themselves. And this in its own is a problem. Because the only people who uphold their rules are their members, ie the dive shops. And in a way its good, because it protects people from themselves, but on the other hand who gave them the right to do so?...

The certification agencies answer to them selves in order to keep laws from being passed. Check scuba diving history in California and you'll see how local laws affected scuba diving in the early years. As for who gives who the right to protect someone from themselves? You did, when you signed up for a certification class. You could have gone out and bought you own gear, tanks and compressor and dived. No certification, no laws, no problem or could there be.

Dealing with Dive shops in general is both a pain and a blessing. Typically as long as you start with them from day one, they are great to work with, local. But as soon as you try to bring in an outside element they become defensive. For example trying to take the online scuba classes. Obviously taking classes online will only get you the textbook knowledge you need. Might as well buy a book from a bookstore and teach yourself right? Why not? I mean in theory you can certify yourself to dive! Yes, absolutely. Even have your own card printed up. But dive shops will hate this because they loose money. So they will not cooperate or help you if you didn't start with them.

Doing the online bit is no different than going to a LDS and taking the classroom only then going to a different agency (shop) and wanting to do the water work only. Most agencies now offer online classes.

I would have assumed that onlinescuba.com would have some type of support network for assistance if you had questions.

Was that question ever asked to them?

And just a note to any shop owners out there, when one of the students comes to you, rather than try to run the out of your shop, why don't you look at them as a potential customer and offer a discounted rate for just the pool portion of the class. I mean after all, that person might end up buying fins, snorkels, bc's and other gear from you.

If I offer only the water portion, then I am not within the standards of my particular agency. I include the classroom, pool and equipment in my classes. As far as buying equipment from my store? What makes you think they would do that? They have already proven they would prefer the online route without even checking to see if I could do only the pool sessions.

As far as helping someone out, I'll do almost anything I can within standards to do it, but I will not break my agency's standards or my personal standards.

Tell you what. Next time you or someone in you family needs some surgery, see if the doctor will only do half the operation and let you close for them. Duct tape and super glue works wonders. :wink:

Hi All,

Just so we are all on the same page, we only resell the nitrox and basic scuba diver course from OnlineScubaLessons.com. OnlineScuba.com is a retail shop located in Las Vegas Nevada. We teach PADI courses here and are considering adding the PADI Online Courses along with TDI and SDI.

We figure that if someone wants to learn scuba especially in a town where there is no LDS then why not make this available to them? We are not looking to take business away from an LDS but at the same time we are simply offering options. Our LDS is not the answer for everyone here so I have to assume the same is true elsewhere.

Now as far as the guy who says he got screwed, I have not heard about it and our customer service has not heard about it. Actually the only time we had an issue was when a customer forgot their log in information. The folks at OnlineScubaLessons have been great to work with and while I cannot vouch for how they handle their students I have to figure that this whole thing may be a misunderstanding that could or can be fixed.

Hope I have cleared this up as we have been in business for over 10 years and value our service. While we are not perfect, we will at least do what is needed to take care of our valued customers.

I have to ask you, Bill, does your shop accept the onlinescubalessons.com online scuba course as proof of the academics required to issue a PADI certification?

Rachel

Everybody is looking for the fastest, easiest, simplest way to get things done, but nothing beats taking a regular class with other students and an instructor at the helm.

You'll meet other nice people learning to dive, be able to ask questions of the instructor as they come to mind, learn from other people's experience, and you'll definitely learn more and have more fun. You'll also meet potential future dive buddies, be able to hold the gear in your hands as you learn about it (instead of just looking at pictures), participate in practical demonstrations, and see, touch, and feel instead of just reading.

Finally, I think it's best to take the full course with the same instructor(s). They'll get to know you, your strengths and weaknesses, and know your capabilities when you're on your final checkout dives. When you go to a new instructor for your dives after learning the academic portion with one method, and the pool sessions with another instructor, the checkout instructor is at a disadvantage since they know very little about you or your skills and abilities (and you know little about them and how they teach).

..and as an Instructor, I would not feel good about accepting the academic portion of training from an instructional program I've never heard of.

If a student can pass the written part of your agency's exam then what does it really matter if he took a course on line, bought/read a book or watched old sea hunt shows. I would never recommend to someone to just take an online scuba course but at the same time, just like in college, if you don't need to show up for class to pass the test then sleep in-I'm ok with that.

If a student can pass the written part of your agency's exam then what does it really matter if he took a course on line, bought/read a book or watched old sea hunt shows. I would never recommend to someone to just take an online scuba course but at the same time, just like in college, if you don't need to show up for class to pass the test then sleep in-I'm ok with that.
The agency does not certify ... I do. If a student does not come to my class, they will not pass my exam, and I will not certify them. Who gives a rat's rear about how they do on some agency exam?

If they can't pass without being there then yea-they need to be there. It's like taking Analysis of Algorithms in college. Those prof didn't enforce the attendance policy because they knew you would flunk if you didn't show up. The 'Intro to Management' prof was all uptight over attendance because there was really no need for the prof-he didn't add anything to the course that wasn't immediately clear to someone of average intelligence when they read the book.

If you are teaching something worthwhile that can't be gleamed from the course material then good for you-sounds like you might be doing something right.

I actually thought the agencies made the exams and set the standards for passing (and if that had been the case then my first point stands). My bad. I still suspect that there are instructors out there who's test can be passed without attending class.

Just to recap this is following the post the guy who's girlfriend bought him the onlinscubalessons.com for a gift and he took it but now can't get any local dive shops or instructors to do the dive portion with him. They are asking him to pay full price and aren't validating his classroom time online.

Oh yea, I was only refering to federal laws. California is a freakin nany state, they are a joke. They make laws governing everything obsessively. Heck I remember they were trying to pass a law to put control of thermostats in homes under regulation. I live in Texas. Enough said there.

And I understand that the dive agencies are banded together, and dive shops are trying to keep the sport safe. I respect this, not saying I don't support it. In fact, I support my local dive shop, and actually enjoyed taking the classes from my college. Just saying maybe things are changing and small shops aren't progessive enough to take advantage of the changes. And maybe onlinescubalessons.com is missing out on a growth opportunity.

Honestly in a way, I think it would probably be a good idea if the federal govt mandated that states establish regulations and certification standards for scuba diving. I would kinda categorize it as something that is fun and safe, but also dangerous and requires proper training, testing, and standardized certification. Like driving a car... Maybe you should have to get a scuba divers license.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom