Ontario "tactical" knives

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

A couple of things:

First, it's made (according to the website) of carbon steel, not stainless. So it's going to rust like crazy, I think.

Second, that's an awful big knife to have to carry underwater. Have you considered EMT shears instead? They'll cut through anything and are much more compact.

Yeah, that's a cool looking knife... but there's really no need for something like that on a dive, unless you think you might have to wrestle killer sharks with laser beams on their heads.... :wink:

-d

if you want a big dog knife get a next gen ka-bar.

it's stainless and has a sheath that clips the knife in so you don't have to use the straps if you want

it's what i carry when i wanna look like a badass

http://www.ka-bar.com/cgi-bin/product_detail.cgi?product_id=150&cat=2

pick it up off their dealer link page, some place in Texas had mine for $63 i think

kurt

Thanks everybody for your input. I will check out those links.

I am signed up for a class where one of the requirements (from the diving instructor) is that we have a knife of some sort. I assume that is to cut kelp if we get tangled. Does anyone know how well EMT shears word for getting out of a kelp mess?

-Alexander

goatboy_k once bubbled...
if you want a big dog knife get a next gen ka-bar.

it's stainless and has a sheath that clips the knife in so you don't have to use the straps if you want

it's what i carry when i wanna look like a badass

http://www.ka-bar.com/cgi-bin/product_detail.cgi?product_id=150&cat=2

pick it up off their dealer link page, some place in Texas had mine for $63 i think

kurt

I looked at the pic of the knife that you were takling about and to tell you the truth it looks more like a gimic knife I dont remember seeing anything like it when I was in. If you are into the military surplus thing like myself I use an SOG Navy Seal and you can get the Seal which is fairly large or the Seal Pup which is a lot smaller and managable to most.

Seems to me, for what it's worth, a large clip pointed knife is a tad overkill. Not only do you have to find some place that it's accessible, but also some place it won't always be in the way.

Keep in mind that if you need to use it you now have to return it to the sheath, probably with poor and mask restricted vis. All this with out stabbing yourself with the pointed tip, or putting a hole in a drysuit.

I'm a public safety diver and I manage to find uses for a knife on almost every work dive...blunt tips are the way to go for me. I like the 4" blades simply because they have grips you can use with heavy gloves...if you're diving warm water I think you would find something small like a uk remora or one like bob3 pictured to be much more user friendly.

As mentioned before trauma shears rule!!!

Just what I've found works for me...your milage may vary!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom