Open water certification with Injury

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubalobo

Registered
Reaction score
I need some advice from an experienced diver I broke my small toe two days ago in an accident at my house I am scheduled to do my open water certification this weekend and my toe is VERY sore I am concerned about putting on the botties and how it will feel with my fins on. I don't want to put it off but I am just concerned I already had to delay it a month because of my work.

Mr Lobo,
relax don't do it..., I suppose it depends on the surrounding circumstances, but why stress over something that is intended to be a fun past time for you. Hobbling around on a boat or the beach isn't much fun, stay home and finish your course when you have healed (IMHO).

Winton

I would imagine that it's going to hurt every time you move the fin. If you're dead set on trying it I would tape it up really well and then test it in the water before making the final decision.

If it was me I would bag it and wait for it to heal. Pain every time you move a fin would suck and you're subconsciously going to move that foot differently so your propulsion is going to be reduced/off

As much as it sucks, I think I'd wait like the others. My classes were in March and my checkout dives weren't until June so I know how a long wait feels, but you will have a lot more fun and be more comfortable if you aren't in pain.
Let us know how it goes when you do the checkouts though.

Joe

Is it all black and blue yet? It will look like it's going to fall off before it's done bruising up then it will turn various shades of brown and red as it heals. It'll be cool!

I broke a little toe walking into a couch once, I didn't have to cancel any dives (luckily I didn't have any planned, yeah lucky) but it didn't get better for a couple of weeks and I was hobbling unsteadily for some time. Everytime you put too much weight to that side the pinky toe is what keeps you balanced, you're going to learn alot about how your pinky toe works in the next week or so because everytime it tries to do what it does (hold weight) you'll experience searing pain and want to scream like a schoolgirl.

I was in college at the time and just carrying a book bag was hell, I'd really suggest you think about delaying the dives. I know it's not the answer you want to hear but for your safety and the safety of your instructors/divemasters/fellow students you should consider it, or at least discuss fully with your instructor and get feedback. After experiencing first-hand the kind of pain you are in for, I would not want you in the water right now if I was part of the staff. Nor would I want to attempt a dive in that state.

Life is long, oceans are endless (for our intents and purposes in diving anyway). Two weeks is only 14 days.

Rule of thumb to dive and live by. If you are asking the question "should I dive" the answer is no. Reason, the question comes from you inner voice, your common sense, you sense of self-preservation. Everything else is you macho, or your desire, or your pocketbook (spent so much to get here) or a combination of all three trying to talk yourself into doing something your inner voice knows better than to do.

How many times have you heard that inner voice, and then talked yourself into going ahead with something only to regret it latter?

As Ann Landers (Dear Abby) says, you already know the answer. If you are asking the question, you already know at some level you should not do the dive.

Your first open water dive will have enough stress and delightful wonderment without the added thrills of a broken toe trying to heal. Wait a few weeks and then enjoy the dive without pain or worrying about your toe.

chances are you are going to hurt your broken toe again if you go diving. the
diving is gonna suck, and your toe is gonna get worse.

i know it's hard, but in the long run, waiting a while for the toe to heal will do
wonders both for it and for your diving experience.

(this is my opinion only, etc... best of luck whatever you decide)

scubalobo:
I need some advice from an experienced diver I broke my small toe two days ago in an accident at my house I am scheduled to do my open water certification this weekend and my toe is VERY sore I am concerned about putting on the botties and how it will feel with my fins on. I don't want to put it off but I am just concerned I already had to delay it a month because of my work.

Ditto on the comments

Why ruin or add a distraction to something that you only get to do once? You want to focus on the certification process and enjoying the new experiences, not wondering about about pain.

I don't think you should get in the habit of ignoring the messages your body is telling you and then putting yourself in an environment where you need to be focused on what you are doing.

scubalobo:

Pain is your body telling you something is wrong. Ignoring it is your way of aggravating the injury and lengthening the healing process. I once dove with a toe that was only badly sprained. A buddy once dove with a finger that was badly bruised. Both of us wish we had not been quite so "manly"; our respective injuries were very inflamed, purple, red, blue and black following the dive.

Don't dive. It's not worth it. You need to be 100% for every dive.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom