Open Water Check Dive/Vortex Springs, Florida

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hello and Good Morning All!
I'm writing to check if anyone can provide me with information on Vortex Springs, Florida? Will be going there later this month for (Open Water Check Dive).
Thanks and good diving to all!
Bob Rubenstein

Last edited:
Vortex Diving Center, LLC

What information are you looking for? It is out on the country so there isn't a lot around. They have places to stay at the spring. There are other good dives very close (Panama City Beach, Destin, etc)

The water is cold (for Florida)- about 68 I think. It is a nice place to do your first couple of dives.

Bob

I was just there this past weekend certifying 13 students. From I-10 take the Ponce de Leon exit and drive north five miles. The road signs are well marked. There is lodging there from hotel rooms, to cabins to tent and RV camping. With the other local spring, Morrision, flooded there were about 500 people diving. From students doing training to folks diving the cave.

There is a dive shop and they sell gear, fill tanks, do Nitrox, etc.

Closest motels are in Defunaik Springs 10 miles to the west. Several there. We usually stay at the Best Western. They have a nice breakfast that is included with the cost of the room and the restaurant opens at 6 a.m.

When we left the hotel on both mornings the air temp was 29 degrees but warmed up nice on both days. The water temp was 63 degrees. Definitely need a wetsuit. I enjoyed my drysuit.

On Saturdays and Sundays the place opens at 7 a.m. and cost for divers is $25 per day.

Hope this helps.

4C BBQ in Ponce De Leon is most excellent....it's just a few miles away from Vortex, and has awesome barbeque. Sally's Restaurant is also fantastic, and they have great breakfasts. The seafood is pretty good, too.

As far as hotels go, the only one that I've stayed at is Ponce De Leon Motor Lodge. A room was $50 a night, and it was kind of...well...what you'd expect for $50 a night. Clean (for the most part), though.

If you drive 10 miles up I-10, there is a much better hotel selection in DeFuniak Springs. I stayed at America's Best Value Inn a couple of weeks ago. Only $50, and had clean rooms, key-card entry, and coffee makers! :) If you stay in Defuniak Springs, there's a Mexican restaurant just up the road that's pretty good (great margaritas).

Vortex itself is fun to dive, but when compared to a bigger place like ABWA in Pelham, AL...well, it's on the small side. If you get there early, visibility is fantastic, but it rapidly gets stirred up on the weekends and reduced to 30-40 feet vis. Water temp is always 68 degrees, which is why it gets used a lot in the winter for OW certification dives (ABWA in Pelham falls to the low 50's....brrrrr). Vortex is a fresh water spring with a cave entrance....be sure to stay in open water, and don't wander into the cave. If you look up and see rock, you've gone too far.

There's some stuff to look at in the water...a metal talk box at 20 feet, in which you can duck your head inside, and there's a small air space inside (enough to be able to pull out your reg and talk to your buddy). There's a concrete pad at about 20 feet, in which a lot of the instructors will have there students gather and perform skills. There's also a deeper area that goes to about 40-50 feet. At around 20-30 feet, there's a large artificial "training cave" (a man-made monstrosity that was designed to provide a training place for cave diving instruction). Essentially, it's a big swimthrough with a gravel floor.

The entryway into the spring is easy...they've got steps leading to the water.

There's a large covered area in which to get out of the rain, and there's picnic tables there to set up your gear.

The driveway leading into Vortex can be a bit tricky...if you have a teeny-tiny small car, take it slow.

That's all I can think of. Feel free to PM me with any further questions :)

Good Morning All!
Well I may have sent the last partial message into cyberspace? My thanks to all for the infomation on Vortex Springs, Florida. With the help of my GPS, Road Atlas, and Google Maps: I think I should be able to find Vortex Springs.
Good Diving to all!
Thanks,
Bob In Arkansas

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom