Open water dive this weekend...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Adobo

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Well, I'm back home after spending the weekend in Monterrey, CA for my open water certitication dives. The diving experience/conditions were about what I thought they would be. Visibility was almost non-existent and the water was right about 57 degrees. I was far more comfortable than I thought I would be.

Some lessons I learned:
- I don't like being buddies with a diver who brings a camera.
- I think I prefer a more rigid approach to diving instruction than the "recreational activity" approach. This maybe a recreational activity but the consequences of an accident tend to be quite severe.
- Integrated secondary air supplies are not my thing. I was taught the out of air/air sharing ascent skill. Though this type of event maybe incredibly unusual and unlikely but if it ever had to be done, I prefer that the equipment was of set up in a fashion were each diver had ample room to establish composure and then execute the ascent. It must just be my fickle nature as my instructors were quick to dismiss my concerns.
- I like my zeagle "everything is special package" from scuba toys. I was lectured previously by another forum member on providing an opinion at such an inexperienced stage so I will leave this bullet item as is. Thanks for all the great service Scubatoys guys.
- There is an aweful lot of work involved in diving for an hour. I guess diving in colder waters typically involved even more maintenance since there is usually more exposure suit and weights involved.
- Boyfriends should probably stay at home while you are finishing the course. Nothing worse than a boyfriend trying to "help" the instructor when clearly they are describing things in a contradictory manner. I say boyfriends because I think that in general, guys like to show off on how big/strong/fast/smart they are. I'm sure some females suffer from this malady also but probably very few in comparison. Somehow, husbands tend to be less afflicted. I wonder if maturity has anything to do with it.
- The sights, even with low viz, are absolutely breathtaking.
- Bring food and lots of water.

I want to give to be a little more verbose on the last lesson learned that I wanted to share. On dive #3, my buddy and I were checking each other over when I realized that my SPG was down to 2100 psi. The tank started at over 3000 psi. I automatically assumed that I had some kind of leak that drained my tank of over 900 lbs of air. I notified the dive con who told me that he did not hear any leaks and that 2100 psi was adequate to do skills. I put the reg in my mouth just to make sure I could breath. All good. I put in the secondary air source and that seemed fine too. Somehow, my buddy and I did not continue with our checks. We just proceeded to head into the water. Being new and wanting to conserve air I switched from my primary to my snorkel as I swam to where the instructor was waiting. By the time I got to the instructor, I was in about 8 feet of water. I went vertical and began to sink, I realized that I did not have enough air in my bc so I went to inflate. Nothing. Shortly thereafter, my snorkel siezed. It is a dry snorkel so I assume the end of the snorkel was now completely submereged. I reach for my primary and stick it in my mouth. Nothing. I start kicking furiously to get my mouth above water. I manage to orally inflate my BC but it took a lot of work.

As my instructor got to me to check why I was flapping and splashing furiously, I inform him that I am having big time equipment issues. He reaches behind me and tells me that my air supply is not turned on. I suspect that once I set up my equipment, I turned off the air supply. I don't remember exactly why I did that but sure enough, I did. After my instructor turned the valve back on, my SPG read 3000 psi.

A close call to be sure.... What did I learn? Do not take your final checks lightly. It seems that it doesn't take too much ignorance and stupidity to get hurt while scuba diving.

Overall, I had a really good time. I learned a lot over the weekend. I think the biggest lesson is, there is much much much more that I don't know.

You are on your way to becoming an active, self-sufficient, thinking diver...willing to learn and apply your knowledge. I am surprised that the dive con didn't investigate your low pressure issue just a bit more thoroughly. The very first thing I always ask when someone says, "hey, I only have 2100 psi!" is "Is your air turned on?". It is very common. Gear is set up, turned on, turned off and then later when checked that question pops up. Have fun on your dives and don't forget all your checks.

Congrats on your cert...Dive safe...

Good lesson to remind everyone...it's the little things that we all have to remember to look at!

That's funny; the same thing (almost) happened to me on my final OW cert dive. We had what we thought was a bad o-ring on my tank (very small audible leak at the first stage), so I hastily swapped tanks, turned on the air, made sure everything looked good, turned it off, and started helping my fiancee with her gear. Strapped mine on quickly, and we rushed to catch up with everyone. Went to inflate my BCD before heading into deeper water and...nothing. I remembered exactly what happened, had Erica turn the air on for me, and we went through a spot check of the rest of our gear right there to make sure we didn't miss something else...exactly what we should have done on shore, rather than thinking we had to rush because everyone was waiting.

Lesson learned: stop worrying about "holding everyone up". Checking your gear (and your buddy's) is far more important than people having to wait an extra minute or two. Nobody wants to be "that guy" who always takes forever, but drowning would probably be even less fun. :wink:

Just a quick note to let you know what I do to make sure I have my air turned back on after I have it set up. When I turn the air off, I make sure to drain it down so I have no pressure registered on the pressure gage. Therefore when we do our checks, I see I have not pressure, meaning the air has not been turned back on. Also, when I do my breathing test on the reg and octo, no breath, air not turned on. Just my way of playing it safe.

I don't understand this thing of turning the air off once it's turned on. Why do you do this? I can see on a boat ride out where there is a chance you will not be with your gear the whole time. However when shore diving once my air is on it stays on until I've hit 500 psi or so. I still check it though before I hit the water. Ok maybe you lay your rig down and do it in case you lay it down on your reg and it might accidentally leak. But if you take care of your gear you make sure your second stages are on top inside the straps and the purge buttons are well protected from being accidently set off. Also no one touches my tank unless I specifically ask them to. I'm very up front about this. I turn my valves off and on and only my buddy checks them. He knows how to check it. This may be the only time it gets turned off, is if there is a question and I'll ask him to turn it off and then back on or I'll do it myself. But again once it's on it's on til it's done. There is no need to turn the supply off and on.

When I first set up my gear, I had a leak where I attached the console HP hose to the first stage. I had to shut the air down and fiddle with the hose/first stage. I remember turning the valve back on and noticing that the air leak had been resolved. I don't remember what I did after that.

I walked away from my gear to participate in the pre-dive briefing being performed by the instructor. That's pretty much why my memory is a little foggy...

Valuable lesson learned though.

JimLap:
I don't understand this thing of turning the air off once it's turned on. Why do you do this? I can see on a boat ride out where there is a chance you will not be with your gear the whole time. However when shore diving once my air is on it stays on until I've hit 500 psi or so. I still check it though before I hit the water. Ok maybe you lay your rig down and do it in case you lay it down on your reg and it might accidentally leak. But if you take care of your gear you make sure your second stages are on top inside the straps and the purge buttons are well protected from being accidently set off. Also no one touches my tank unless I specifically ask them to. I'm very up front about this. I turn my valves off and on and only my buddy checks them. He knows how to check it. This may be the only time it gets turned off, is if there is a question and I'll ask him to turn it off and then back on or I'll do it myself. But again once it's on it's on til it's done. There is no need to turn the supply off and on.

Sounds like a good start. I sometime say that any dive where everyone comes back OK, with all of your gear and you learn something is a good dive.

Adobo:
Well, I'm back home after spending the weekend in Monterrey, CA for my open water certitication dives. The diving experience/conditions were about what I thought they would be. Visibility was almost non-existent and the water was right about 57 degrees. I was far more comfortable than I thought I would be.

Some lessons I learned:
- I don't like being buddies with a diver who brings a camera.
Huge lesson here. You need to have an agreed objective. I have gone with shutter bugs and enjoyed hovering, watching and waiting. Sometimes I spotted things they had an interest in photographing. Other times you want to keep gliding and explore a bigger area. What's worse than a shutter bug? I'll tell you, a hunter. Be warned!
Adobo:
- I think I prefer a more rigid approach to diving instruction than the "recreational activity" approach. This maybe a recreational activity but the consequences of an accident tend to be quite severe.
Don't be affraid to have standards. Lot's of training has been dummed down. Having a deeper understanding will speed your development and make you a more confident diver.
Adobo:
- Integrated secondary air supplies are not my thing. I was taught the out of air/air sharing ascent skill. Though this type of event maybe incredibly unusual and unlikely but if it ever had to be done, I prefer that the equipment was of set up in a fashion were each diver had ample room to establish composure and then execute the ascent. It must just be my fickle nature as my instructors were quick to dismiss my concerns.
Many here including myself agree. they are two very destinct devices and they best do their role as two dedicated items.
Adobo:
- There is an aweful lot of work involved in diving for an hour. I guess diving in colder waters typically involved even more maintenance since there is usually more exposure suit and weights involved.
Trust me this will ease with time. When you go out and do multi tank days it cuts the work per dive as well. As you get more accustomed to it all you will be less tired and most of the work becomes part of the fun. Take your time. Show your gear some love when you get it home.
Adobo:
- Boyfriends should probably stay at home while you are finishing the course. Nothing worse than a boyfriend trying to "help" the instructor when clearly they are describing things in a contradictory manner. I say boyfriends because I think that in general, guys like to show off on how big/strong/fast/smart they are. I'm sure some females suffer from this malady also but probably very few in comparison. Somehow, husbands tend to be less afflicted. I wonder if maturity has anything to do with it.
This is the safest approach, your class is about you and the instructor.
Adobo:
- The sights, even with low viz, are absolutely breathtaking.
Your real region of interest is small. The rest is helpful in finding things but you'll reach it either way. Even when it's a light day for critters and sights there is still the dive. This is even more true in night diving which I find delightfully intimate.
Adobo:
- Bring food and lots of water.
Eat light, drink water steadily. It will do wonders for your comfort, stamina, and I even seem to think it has helped me be more resistant to sea sickness.
Also consider bringing some "comfort water" cool water to dump down your collar when it's warm and warm water to prime your suit when it's getting colder.
Adobo:
I want to give to be a little more verbose on the last lesson learned that I wanted to share. On dive #3, my buddy and I were checking each other over when I realized that my SPG was down to 2100 psi. The tank started at over 3000 psi. I automatically assumed that I had some kind of leak that drained my tank of over 900 lbs of air. I notified the dive con who told me that he did not hear any leaks and that 2100 psi was adequate to do skills. I put the reg in my mouth just to make sure I could breath. All good. I put in the secondary air source and that seemed fine too. Somehow, my buddy and I did not continue with our checks. We just proceeded to head into the water. Being new and wanting to conserve air I switched from my primary to my snorkel as I swam to where the instructor was waiting. By the time I got to the instructor, I was in about 8 feet of water. I went vertical and began to sink, I realized that I did not have enough air in my bc so I went to inflate. Nothing. Shortly thereafter, my snorkel siezed. It is a dry snorkel so I assume the end of the snorkel was now completely submereged. I reach for my primary and stick it in my mouth. Nothing. I start kicking furiously to get my mouth above water. I manage to orally inflate my BC but it took a lot of work.

As my instructor got to me to check why I was flapping and splashing furiously, I inform him that I am having big time equipment issues. He reaches behind me and tells me that my air supply is not turned on. I suspect that once I set up my equipment, I turned off the air supply. I don't remember exactly why I did that but sure enough, I did. After my instructor turned the valve back on, my SPG read 3000 psi.

A close call to be sure.... What did I learn? Do not take your final checks lightly. It seems that it doesn't take too much ignorance and stupidity to get hurt while scuba diving.

Overall, I had a really good time. I learned a lot over the weekend. I think the biggest lesson is, there is much much much more that I don't know.

Close call, good lesson and you knew what to do, you made it to the top and did an oral inflate, good move. Had the thought of ditching weight occured to you? If plan A failed that would have been your salvation.

Dive safe, often and within your limits.
Pete

Adobo:
Somehow, husbands tend to be less afflicted. I wonder if maturity has anything to do with it.
Not so much maturity, just experience. We've just suffered the consequences enough times to know better. :bash:

SwimsLikeRock:
Not so much maturity, just experience. We've just suffered the consequences enough times to know better. :bash:

Just a clarification on this point. I think that if you are taking a class and you are out on the dives as part of the class, I think you should leave your boyfriend at home. I personally do not have a boyfriend as I am a "guy". Not that I have anything against guys having boyfriends. Or girls having girlfriends. All I care about is that you tell your "know it all" significant other to keep quiet while the instructor is talking.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom