Open water dives 1,2,3 completed

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jepuskar

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hi, just wanted to post my progess on the open water dives that I started this morning.

We dove in Haigh Quarry in Kankakee, IL. Boy, was this an experience....the skills we did without a problem, but the visibility was just horrendous. They took us on a guided tour of a couple spots and we couldn't see jack. At one point I couldn't see but 2 feet in front of me if that...for a first time dive, it was kinda of nerve racking....we weren't relying on our compass, but the guide in front of us, as instructed. My girlfriend was pretty aggravated when we got out of the water the first time, as I can understand...I was still in awe that I just did my first open water dive.

Ohh yeah, those fish in there got some serious issues, they were nipping at us the whole time...it didnt hurt, but it must be the quarry there in. I heard it was a ' rough' quarry'

In all, we finished the first 3 open water dives and will do the fourth next saturday. Even those the viz sucked, overall it was quite an experience and a memorable one. Its gonna be another long week until the next dive. :(

Jason

Congrats.

Just wait - in one more week you know why it was worth it. :)

Where in Chicago are you located? I used to live out in the burbs in Algonquin, IL.

Marc

When you're finished, you'll have to come down here to Sunny South FLorida and see what it's like to dive in some clear, warm water. FLL Diver is right, when it's all over you'll see why it was well worth it.

Congrats and good luck next week.

Scott

Learning under those conditions will just make you a better diver. Unfortunately I couldnt do my open water dives in those conditions. I had to do it in the Cayman islands!!

I did do my Advanced and Rescue in a quarry in PA in April. The vis was awful and the water was 37 degrees. I guess that is why I had to move to the West Palm Beach area.

Jack R once bubbled...
By the way, Padipro and FLL Diver, where are you in South FL?

Fort Lauderdale.

Marc

Believe it or not I have seen much worse water than we had today! Yes, I was there. My wife and I were doing some pleasure dives while my wife's sister was doing the first day of her open waters. I only took one occasion to venture over to the shallower side where the classes are taking place. You guys really kick up the vis! No offense, I did the same thing in your shoes.

Let me know and perhaps our paths can cross(and dive). Drop me a private message.

Congrats,
Eric

We have snorkeled in Hawaii, St. Croix and Key Largo and those experiences have let us to SCUBA...trust me..we know what were missing.

We were there to do our skills, not to sight see, it just would to have been nice to see the bottom before you were on top of it. No big deal...definetly a learning experience. :/

I did get to practice my bouyancy techniques though while doing our little tour of the quarry. After doing our fin pivot the first time we took off on the wonderful 'sightseeing' adventure and I did a pretty good job using my breathing to control my position in the water. Still needs work though, but with more practice..I'll get it.

After were certified, I think I am gonna try and drag my girlfriend back there during the week..and test out the viz. I think I will literally have to drag her back..besides..$20.00 bucks per person just to get in the place seems kinda steep....the entry fee should be proportional to the viz for that day. :D

To bad they were not as enjoyable as they should have been. On the bright side if you can pass your OW under those conditions the rest is icing on the cake. My first three dives had low vis also my other two the following week where alot better, I could have stayed down all day.

Wildbill

:copper:

Jack R once bubbled...
By the way, Padipro and FLL Diver, where are you in South FL?

Ft. Lauderdale as well.

Scott

Back
Top Bottom