Nervous for Open Water Dives

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

A diver whom I met once about 3 months before this specific day had been standing in the parking lot of a local dive spot hoping to see another diver. I went and stared at the water like I normally do and he approached me asking if I was diving today and introduced himself. I explained I was planning a solo dive to about 105 fsw (32m), but he was welcome to join if he wanted. He was very anxious and hesitant since he was a newer OW diver and had only been to 70 fsw (21m). I went over my plan with him and explained if he felt overwhelmed or outright scared to signal me and we'd stop and turn the dive. After talking things out he and I agreed on the plan to skim 100 fsw (30m) and head back before ndl told us to go up. It was a dark dive in low vis (1-2m at best) above and through the alge layer. Once we passed 70 fsw the waters cleared up to 20 feet of vis. We skimmed 102 fsw (31m) and he stayed on my shoulder the whole time. He understood that the deeper dive wasn't much different than he'd grown used to except needing to plan for a longer ascent and greater gas usage. It is the same procedures, same breathing, same buoyancy control, same signaling, same everything. He learned that where we live the best summer diving is deep to avoid zero vis in algae bloom.

Don't let the unknown deter you from seeing what's out there beyond the surface. Take it slow. Breathe in and out. Enjoy the views. Let the dive be a relaxed encounter with nature.
I'd like to come do a similar dive with you some time. Pushing deeper is something I would like to do with someone else, but I have a hard time seeing it needing a full course. Mostly I want to go down below 100' just to see how it feels and to find out where I start experiencing physiological changes.

I'd like to come do a similar dive with you some time. Pushing deeper is something I would like to do with someone else, but I have a hard time seeing it needing a full course. Mostly I want to go down below 100' just to see how it feels and to find out where I start experiencing physiological changes.
Most of my summer dives are below 90 and winter depends on where I'm at. Provided you have the air and cold tolerance we can def do that. I think you may still have my #

fwiw.....i would never have taken an ow student to 20 meters. even if it was within standards.....which (for ssi at least) it is not.

The only problem I had with going deeper than pool level was equalization. On my first OW dives, I didn't equalize properly and had a little bit of ear inflammation afterwards, which almost permanently turned me off to diving.

So my advice would be 1) If it hurts, stop and immediately go back shallower until you fix it. Don't "tough it out". 2) pre-equalize. i.e., start equalizing before you feel any discomfort. The more the imbalance, the harder it is to equalize 3) Practice equalizing on land. It's not always as straightforward as holding your nose and blowing. Check out "Frenzel maneuver" on Youtube for a technique that you probably didn't learn in OW, but is used to excellent effect among freedivers who don't have the luxury of leisurely equalization.

Most of my summer dives are below 90 and winter depends on where I'm at. Provided you have the air and cold tolerance we can def do that. I think you may still have my #
I will PM you

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom