Open Water Dives

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scuba-Radar

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Well I did my first two open water dives yesterday. The first dive was a pleasure dive to get used to the area and the water. we saw a whole bunch of sea creatures from lobsters to crabs even saw some flounders. there was something alive/moving everywhere.

The second dive we did a bunch of skills but still got to look around also. and being in new england in 50 degree water it got really cold but still fun. we are doing the second set of dives today off a boat!

Now i know what you all mean when you say you "Found yourself" underwater because at one point when doing skills I was just kneeling there and realized that it was quiet and peaceful!

well wish me luck on the second set of dives today!

Rich

You will do well with your last 2 dives today. It sounds as if you have been bitten by the diving bug. Continue to learn, dive and dive safely and you will have years of enjoyment.

Those first few dives are so great, when you finally get down there and realize how truly different it is than what you imagined (in a good way). The feeling is difficult, if not impossible, to describe -- but we all know it! People that watch divers on the Discovery Channel think they can relate but they can't.

Man the last two dives were great, i saw so many things.. more lobsters a TON of lil star fish and a skate and lobster fighting! man what a great feeling it is to finally be certified! i know it wont truly hit me until i do my first few dives with NO SKILL TESTS and just enjoying the U/W experiences!

Now do what I tell all my students, take the Advance course right after your open water course. The advance course is more fun dives than actual work, like you did in your open water course. I have no idea what certification agency your going through, because Im PADI, so it may be different.

Scuba-Radar

Congratulations!

Where were you diving? You're certified just in time to enjoy the best of the 2009 New England dive season. Now keep that gear damp with frequent use!

There's also something to be said for making some novice dives before AOW. You should already be trained to make these dives. It will give you a chance to get past sensory overload before facing a little more task loading. Since the 3 best ways of becoming a better diver are to dive, dive and dive you can't go wrong.

Have you found the New England forum here on SB?

If you are in Maine our club next meets July 9th. A dive club is a great way to open yourself up to more diving options.

Pete

Aloha! Welcome to SB and diving. When you get tired of that cold water, come see us in Kauai!

:wink:

Congrats on your cert and welcome to the undersea world!

I did the cert thru PADI and i my first two dives were at back beach in Gloucester and the final two were at kettle rock with Cape Ann Divers.

I think i am going to do a few more dives before jumping into my AOW but that is next on my list of things to do..

there is actually a whole lot to see in New England waters I never thought i would see alot of creatures but man i was wrong! Now i cant wait to get back down there!

Till next time!

Rich

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom