Open Water Rates with eLearning

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have been teaching using the "SDI" online academic training for a couple of years now

and

I absolutely deduct the price of anything the student paid to SDI over the internet.

so, if a new student of mine has paid $100 via the internet to SDI for the homestudy, I deduct $100 from the tuition they would pay to me.

I really don't know how PADI works, but I get an account credit from SDI whenever a student signs up online.

So I'm never out anything and would think it Unethical to keep the credit from SDI and then charge my student full price.

Ok Either I am reading this wrong or there is conflicting info

ninjastar
Open Water Rates with eLearning

being 2 hours from the closed dive shop, I decided to take the Padi eLearning for the didactic portion of the Open Water Course. However the quote they gave me for the OW course was the same with our without the eLearning portion. Don't dive shops give a discount if you already pay $120 for the eLearning course, since your not taking the classroom portion with them?

JimLap
Nope! According to the training bulletin on eLearning it is suggested that shops DO NOT lower their price. You are paying for the convenience of doing it on line.

oly5050user
The value of e-learning is the convience. You are not "double charged"..Cost of e-learning is $120.Cost of purchasing crewpack and dvd video for ow course is $95.

So if the LDS price for OW not including the open water cert dives is $239.00 with the crew pack, the LDS will deduct the amount for the crew pack from the $239.00?

I read that PADI is starting a nitrox Elearning class. How would I complete the class if not at my LDS? Would the class all on the Internet?

If the price of the ow course is $239. and at that price it includes a crewpack the LDS is definitely losing $$..We charge $239. for a 3 week schedule on a ow course and student is required to have learning materials-either purchase a crewpack/dvde @ $95. or complete online version of learning materials @ $120.
If you do the online version of the nitrox class you still have to go to either the PADI LDS or an independent instructor to complete gas test and log procedures and complete knowledge reviews with them,same as SDI's program.

oly5050user,

The 239.00 to 295.00 range is the standard price for the OW classroom & confined water here in MN. It is the 3 day class not the 3 week class schedule. They charge in the $200.00 range for the open water dives.

At our shop we charge $100 for the pool time if you are an e learning student. :)
This does not include open water training dives. Alot of store owners don't like eLearning because they don't know how to use it to there advantages.
If you haven't bought mask fins and snorkels yet i would ask them if you could get a discount on both the class and the equipment. If you our our student you get 10% off equipment purchases.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom