Open Water this weekend

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
hello
I cant keep of this site ! I am doing my open water this weekend and just want to post it. A tip for any newbies like me. When you do your pool work you only use about 4k of lead on the belt. I wanted to wear my 7mm two piece to see what it would feel like. What a difference ! I needed 12k of lead. This ment that doing the belt off/on excercise was v different, the weight was pulling me over and due to the suit I was more boyant at the bottom of the pool when removing my bc, I nearly shot up to the top. My advise is to spend some money and get a 2 hour sesh with an instructor to go over all the things you may not be sure of. My open water will be at Stoney cove in England UK, the water will be about 15 degs :eek: I will most probably have to write about it and make a web site with some pix on. I have just been put back on the shelf after 13 years and hope to find friends doing scuba. From what I have read this is THE sport to meet people.

Good luck on your OW course!

I think that even for a total newbie 12 kgs is a bit too much, especially with a 7mms suit.

I use 4 or 5 with the same thickness and started out with 9.

Chiara,
how cold is 16 degs in a 7mm suit, it a new one only used once in a pool. I have no fat on me at all and dont hold my heat very well. A am just a bit worried about the cold. is it freezing reealy cold or like a hose pipe in the summer?

Steve,

UK conditions are very similar to what we have in Belgium.

16° can be cold, especially for someone skinny and a beginner on top of that.

When I started and didn't have a drysuit yet, I used to don a lycra suit under my 7+7, that should help you.

Of course the longer you stay, the colder you get.

I still dive wet for the time being, but it won't be long before I take my drysuit out of the closet.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom