Operator that allow Sidemount diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I won't limit the decision to only DIN but will take it into consideration. Along with the pros and cons of AL80 vs Steel Tanks for Sidemount.

I am primarily concerned with finding a operator that has agreed in advance that sidemount is OK. Can pick the group up at the Sabor pier. Does not make more experienced divers cut their dives short due to other customers with high SAC/RMV's. Charges a fair price compared to the rest of the market.

John

Now those are good ideas.

I would say, most everyone will pick up at Sabor as it is on the way to the southern sites. Can anyone think of an OP that would NOT pick up at Sabor?

MOST of the boutique ops will let you dive your tank. (Or in the case of Aldora, I think they surface together on steel 120s, so it is STILL one of the longest dives.) I am at a loss to think of more ops that group surface normally? Dive Palancar? Dive Paradise?

Price might be your best place to start? Get some quotes, then ask your other questions? Pricing if often relative to the number of dive days and people. If you have a group and a few days, maybe you can work a deal?

I noticed you mentioned that you have a group. I will assume that means four or more diving together. so I think you should call dive with martin and talk to him about doing a set of private charter trips. IIRC his private trips are $375 for four divers. work out your sidemount situation and then no worries.

I am sure there are other operators who would do a private charter type of trip as well. seems to me to be the best way for your group to do its thing and would only cost a little more.

Unfortunately, the group is only three. Some days will be two.

The plan is for two diver on morning two tank dives for 5 or 6 days. The third diver will join in for 2 or 3 of those days. I am the only sidemount diver the other two are AOW divers and will be using standard OW BCD's.

First day of diving will be Sunday April 27th. Last day will be Friday May 2nd.

Unfortunately, the group is only three. Some days will be two.

The plan is for two diver on morning two tank dives for 5 or 6 days. The third diver will join in for 2 or 3 of those days. I am the only sidemount diver the other two are AOW divers and will be using standard OW BCD's.

First day of diving will be Sunday April 27th. Last day will be Friday May 2nd.
Like others have said, you probably won't have a problem with most ops on Cozumel. If you have to have a DIN valve, then best to let your op know in advance, but otherwise why should they care?

Like others have said, you probably won't have a problem with most ops on Cozumel. If you have to have a DIN valve, then best to let your op know in advance, but otherwise why should they care?

They should not. But you try convincing the boat captain upon pickup that your diving on his boat with your sidemount rig when he says he is not familiar with it and you can't dive. Good luck with that.

They should not. But you try convincing the boat captain upon pickup that your diving on his boat with your sidemount rig when he says he is not familiar with it and you can't dive. Good luck with that.

Hey, its Mexico. It's no problem.....

Yes. You pay in advance for my diving and then it will be no problem...

Find an op that lets you pay after you dive. Then you don't have to worry about what kind of refund would happen if days are missed (and if you book a package- make sure you ask that question!).

I think that would be extremely unlikely. Sidemount gear is not that common there but I have seen it on several boats.

Back
Top Bottom