opinion on older suunto

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ehawk

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I currently do not have a computer, and have to dive off of tables. I found someone local selling a suunto favor and a compass console. I know it is older, but given it has replaceable batteries and the brand name, I figured it might be better than tables. I can get the computer for 50 and the compass and pressure gauge for an additional 25. Is it a decent computer for the cost?

The Suunto Favor does not do Nitrox and carries a 1/2 AA 3,6 Volt battery which costs abot US$ 8 to 9 plus the cost of the Oring. Fifty dollars might be a reasonable price, provided the computer comes with a new battery installed by a professional technician.

I bought a new Suunto D6i watch computer one month ago and it failed after 3 weeks - two dive trips.
So do yourself a "favor" and look elsewhere...

Just my sad experience with that "brand" name =(

I currently do not have a computer, and have to dive off of tables. I found someone local selling a suunto favor and a compass console. I know it is older, but given it has replaceable batteries and the brand name, I figured it might be better than tables. I can get the computer for 50 and the compass and pressure gauge for an additional 25. Is it a decent computer for the cost?

I got mine from my uncle. It is really solid. I don't dive nitrox. I think it is a great dive computer. It doesn't have any fancy options but it does what you need it to. Mine is air integrated.

I've been using Suunto's for years, no problems, my Octopus 2 is still solid, have Vypers, Gekko's, D3 and Vytecs.....used for rec and Tec......but here is a tip, any computer can fail.....be prepared.....use 2 or very well trained brain (ratio deco, min deco, site knowledge.....have your back ups). Or, end dive early (follow emerg procedures) and have a enjoyable surface interval.

$75 for the entire console....... and you had to ask?? Gauge only consoles new run $150 Honestly who cares if its nitrox, just watch your MOD and dive air tables or air computer anyway.... Really how many people have such a good SAC as to get the extended times that Nitrox offers anyway? just remember MOD MOD MOD MOD....

Really how many people have such a good SAC as to get the extended times that Nitrox offers anyway? just remember MOD MOD MOD MOD....

Seriously? I can from my first nitrox dive ever.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

:) My point was, diving Nitrox with Air tables was safer and really doesn't increase your bottom time that much (yes it increases it) but if your diving to the limits you just lost the extra safety factor... AND $75 for a console WITH a computer... seemed to me a no brainer nitrox or air....

Don´t agree Imbodie. 75 bucks would be a good price for such an old computer if it would do Nitrox. Besides, in my opinion buying today a computer that only does Air is like buying a B&W TV.set. You can get a new wrist model that does Nitrox and comes with one year warranty for about $ 180.

:) that would be two consoles for your one wrist computer with money left over. I am the dive gear cheapskate... For an OW or even ADV OW diver having the latest or newest gear isn't always the issue... I'd rather see someone diving old gear and ACTUALLY diving... than not dive because they can't afford the new stuff. I STILL dive my first reg set which was bought off Ebay for $150... Yes I now have a full tek side mount setup too, but I used my first reg set through divemaster with nothing changed on it. I have a student that just got an Aladin (REALLY old computer) that isn't nitrox for free.. but diving in North Florida, his first hundred or so dives wont get much deeper than 80 feet and he's fine with an air computer even if he is diving 32% because he isn't going to touch his MOD (I THINK it's like 111' for 32%) and will be much safer diving air tables anyway.

If you look at what new ANALOG consoles cost, it then totally justifies $75 for a console with a computer. You can barely get an SPG for $75....

Lets remember Ehawk is a fairly new diver... we want him in the water diving, not waiting till he can get the latest dive computer...
:)

-Tim

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom