Opinion on packages

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scottbeach

Contributor
Reaction score
What's the group's opinion on packages? LDS', mine included, LOVE to offer complete gear packages, supposedly well discounted below retail 30-40%. What's the catch? Are poor selling/outdated products being pushed or is it truely a deal?

I need to buy 2 full sets of basic rec gear (tired of renting), and I don't need anything fancy whatsoever.

Scott, any of our LDS here are going to charge the following for the basics:

Fins, mask, snorkel, boots - basic $200 per person, TOL $250-300

Online - $100 per person.

Reg, BC, Octo, Computer - LDS $1600 per person

Online - $1100 Top of the line stuff

I did however catch one of our LDS on sale during christmas and got top line fins,mask,snorkel, boots for $190 pp saved about $90

Try online for your basics then scout around at LDS and online for other gear.

waterdogs

Fortunately we've had good snorkel gear for a while. Time for the $$$ stuff now, BC, regs, wetsuits, etc.

only thing i dont like abou tpackage deals is that i never like the entire package. I like to customize my equipment to what i like, not what the LDS wants me to buy. i may like the Mask, reg and BC but cant stand the other items. So for me i perfer not to buy a package, but to get exaclty the items i want. i find plenty of equipment i dont like anyway, why pay for it.

Andy

When I baught my first kit I baught a scubapro package and was/am very happy with it. Scubapro for one actually put these packages together from time to time and not the dive shop and they usually have different ones for different pockets.

I personally think this is a good way to buy a set of recreational gear - and I am sure most decent LDS will let you swap some items, especially the low price ones like masks. Scubapro normally do BC/Regs/Computer packages.

Happy shopping.
Jonathan

P.S. I am not a scubapro salesman, it's all I have knowledge of in the package lines, I am sure other manufacturers do the same.

Some LDS's may let you build your own pacakge and discount it as a whole. It just makes more sense for them to make a big sale to a client, rather than having him buy an item here and the next one there.

In any case, it depends on the package and some are better than others. I will not rule this out, but you really have to know what you need/want in advance, and maybe even prepare a list of alternatives.

As for buying online, I am basically for it. It really saves a lot of money. There are some very good, solid, reliable offers on the net. I would, for sure, at least check this out.

Ari :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom