Opinion on Snorkel Reef at BHB

Are you in favor or against the development of a snorkel reef at Phil foster Park

• In Favor of Development

Votes: 15 83.3%
  • Against Development

Votes: 3 16.7%
  • Undecided

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Shcubasteve

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
In case you havnt heard, development of a snorkel reef will begin July 9th. Diving will remain open during the three week process.

Whats your opinion on this? Are you FOR or AGAINST the development of a snorkel reef at Phil foster Park. See attached picture of the area in question.

I think its a great idea- the upgrades will be placed in an area of mostly sand and are sure to attract more fish and wildlife. Some small critters might be displaced during the process but think of the new habitat for the animals that do not frequent the sand falts- it would blow the shopping carts out of the water. It also might ease the crowded conditions on a busy weekend

thats my opinion, whats yours?

Steve Wood

Attachments

• 250645_10101119045675341_1770828336_n.jpg
    250645_10101119045675341_1770828336_n.jpg
    31.3 KB · Views: 149
I agree with you on this Steve, and I also see it as the beginning of the Park considering the needs of Divers as a Primary responsibility of the Park, along with the responsibilities to the picnicers, beachgoers, and fisherman. Up to now, we have been the "red headed stepchildren" of the park :)
This will also mean the park caring more about the marine life in the park, as this is a big draw for dive tourism, and they will want to keep it as healthy as possible.

Should be really cool, I've snorkled/free dived bhb probably just as many times as I've dived there. Plus more territory and hiding spots for sea creatures should increase the life down there and provide new refuge for tiny critters.

thats my opinion, whats yours?

On busy weekends, it'd be nice if there were some sort of shuttle system to help with the parking situation. Otherwise, I can imagine seeing even *more* rare critters at the bridge. I *love* seeing rare critters. :D

Kevin

On busy weekends, it'd be nice if there were some sort of shuttle system to help with the parking situation. Otherwise, I can imagine seeing even *more* rare critters at the bridge. I *love* seeing rare critters. :D

Kevin
I am certain we can have this. All it takes is a predictable demand. A year ago the kids that do the bike taxi service at City Place wanted to operate there, but permitting was hard for them ( again, with demand, and with Karen Marcus wanting this, it is a non-issue) ..... there is a big parking lot at the Ocean Mall in front of Pura Vida only about 300 yards away, and I expect if it ever really got that crowded, Force E would operate a shuttle from their parking lot as well.

The Hilton already does operate a shuttle for it's guests.

---------- Post Merged at 08:38 AM ---------- Previous Post was at 07:50 AM ----------

What we really need now, is a "Wish List" from all the regular divers at BHB....Now is the time everyone's wishes will be listened to critically, and considered.
things like showers for divers, more stairs to get in the water, special training aids for instruction classes, rinse tanks for gear....this kind of thing will be in a "consideration period" over the next month or so.

Also...do the regulars like the idea of a Citizens on Patrol Cert that allows many of the regulars to help the Park Rangers and LEO's of Fish and Wildlife, Marine Patrol and Sheriffs with underwater infractions of a SEVERE NATURE. Probably this would involve a video camera to document the severely illegal behavior, and then a method of proceeding without getting directly involved in any confrontational way---this to be left entirely to the LEO's. when the park spells out exactly what areas are protected, and where illegal activity would mean fines or arrests, and what that illegal activity is... Examples could be collecting in specific areas where spelled out protection exists....or spearfishing in specific areas where the spelled out illegal nature prohibits this activity--or swimming with a speargun from any of the beaches at BHB, regardless of where the spearfisherman says or thinks they are headed. It would also mean knowing what the LEGAL CLOLLECTING OR SPEARFISHING BEHAVIOR WAS... and when presented with a claim by a diver at the BHB that wrongful behavior was committed by someone, one of these Citizen on Patrol Divers ( or Divers on Patrol DOP) would then speak up for the diver involved in a lawful activity, and end what could otherwise be a heated exchange. Both functions are needed, I think. This will involve "crystalizing" the laws as they apply to the entirety of the BHB underwater park areas---and this really does need to be done...and actually, some booklets should be printed covering all the major issues ( or pdf'd).

As much as I get annoyed by DD's comments on collecting from time to time at the park, he is right...where lawful behavior is occurring, we need to be non-combative and socially functional with these people engaged in legal behaviors.
We can have a wish list for how things "should be".....and County tourism and Karen Marcus could spearhead intelligent requests from this--for new LAWS or new ENFORCEABLE RULES to be enacted...and this is enough "juice" to accomplish what is needed to protect the park, I would think.

Hopefully, you guys really start to build this wish list...maybe someone should even start a new thread for this.

This might also work as a less intrusive location for OW classes to be held.

Also...do the regulars like the idea of a Citizens on Patrol Cert that allows many of the regulars to help the Park Rangers and LEO's of Fish and Wildlife, Marine Patrol and Sheriffs with underwater infractions of a SEVERE NATURE. Probably this would involve a video camera to document the severely illegal behavior, and then a method of proceeding without getting directly involved in any confrontational way---this to be left entirely to the LEO's. when the park spells out exactly what areas are protected, and where illegal activity would mean fines or arrests, and what that illegal activity is...

I'm not a "regular", the place is too crowded for me, but do you really think underwater video surveilance makes for a pleasant dive experience. You go to the mall and you know you are being watched and monitored by video, now you can get the same experience underwater. Someone is monitoring your behavior, have fun. Don't get vertical, you are being watched and recorded

---------- Post Merged at 09:06 AM ---------- Previous Post was at 09:06 AM ----------

I agree with you on this Steve, and I also see it as the beginning of the Park considering the needs of Divers as a Primary responsibility of the Park, along with the responsibilities to the picnicers, beachgoers, and fisherman. Up to now, we have been the "red headed stepchildren" of the park :)
This will also mean the park caring more about the marine life in the park, as this is a big draw for dive tourism, and they will want to keep it as healthy as possible.

You might also want to consider a BHB clinic run by regulars volunteering their time to work with new OW divers. Help to bring them up to speed on what they learned in class but have yet to master. This could improve everyones enjoyment of the site.

I'm not a "regular", the place is too crowded for me, but do you really think underwater video surveilance makes for a pleasant dive experience. You go to the mall and you know you are being watched and monitored by video, now you can get the same experience underwater. Someone is monitoring your behavior, have fun. Don't get vertical, you are being watched and recorded

---------- Post Merged at 09:06 AM ---------- Previous Post was at 09:06 AM ----------

That was not the suggestion.....Each of us will from time to time see horrifically illegal activities. Most activities of most divers would be completely ignored. This is how the regulars of the BHB "are"... However, when one of these regulars sees something terrible.....at least now they would have an "action plan", as opposed to coming to Scubaboard for "Whine and Cheese" :)
The video would only be used by the DOP's for when they see a SEVERE and HORRIFIC ACT IN PROGRESS. What consitutes this kind of act, is something that should be discussed here, and then shared with the Park service.

Why ask opinions when this is already a done deal? I do have a question or two.

How much of this is about getting more business into the area for local dive shops and ancillary businesses? How much of this is about an improved marine environment? With complaints about silting and environment degradation now, does this increase the "carrying capacity" of this area for divers, or just bring in more divers?

I used to really like a unique area near Orlando that was out in the boonies, had decent camping, hunting, and fishing, and was off the beaten path. Little did most of us know that the area was also already a "done deal" that just hadn't been implemented yet.

They paved it and called it Disney World. It completely changed that part of the state, and brought in lots of commerce. It has lots to see, but nothing that was there originally.

Very very nice, but very very different.

I guess it's just a matter of what you want.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom