OPINIONS (hopefully objective) on Ewa-Marine housings

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Moogyboy

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
hey all

Does anyone want to put their two cents in on this subject? I admit to being a little skeptical myself on the idea of sticking a camcorder into a plastic bag...BUT...the fact of the matter is that for the time being an Ikelite or Amphiico or other expensive high-end housing is out of the question for me. Especially considering that I probably will have to go with a relatively inexpensive analog camcorder (ie a used Hi-8 thingie from eBay) to begin with, and housings for them seem already passe or obsolete.

SO

Opinions, experiences, etc. from people who have used Ewa-Marines would be appreciated. I would like to be able to take them to recreational diving depths, and although I understand they're only rated to 33 feet, the concern there is more with pressure screwing with camcorder buttons and such rather than leaks (as I understand it). Does this really matter in practice, and are there any workarounds?

cheers

Billy S.

I'd expect the pressure on the button to become a problem, well before 1 ATM. Not sure of your budget or handyman abilities. I built my own housing for about $200. Not 'professional' quality, but works better than I had really expected. After using all summer, I have some changes and improvments to make before next summer, or I just may build another from scratch. The biggest cost was hardware, such as the stainless steel latches and they could be re-used on a new one.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom