Opinions on clipping gauges in general

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Buffalo Dave

Registered
Reaction score
To piggy back on the Oceanic computer question, looking for some opinions on if and how people handle clipping their gauges in general. I'm getting tired of hunting for them every few minutes.

Not sure if a lanyard, straight clip, or retractable is right for me and looking for others' ideas and experiences.

Thanks

I put my computer/depth gauge/bottom timmer on my right rist. I put my compass on my left wrist. I have a SPG on short high presure hose clipped off to my left hip d-ring. Nothing dangles and everything I need in front of me is there.

I clip my SPG to my left hip d-ring using a boltsnap tied to the hose with cave line. Long hose primary reg with same snap setup, and bungie necklaced backup reg on my neck. computer on my wrist, lights, compass, ect, tied with snaps and clipped off. No danglies, but I'm ashamed to even appear DIR. :)

I placed a retractor on my left strap just below my heart. This is clipped to the gauges and pulls tight to my chest. It's always in the same place. I reach up with my left hand, put out and down to read the gauges. Let go and it goes back to the chest. Nothing dangles.:mean:

I use a retractor on the left upper D-ring. It keeps it from dangling and leaves it accessible with either had when the time comes to pull it out and look at it.

I also clip it on the outside edge so that the face lays against my chest. This keeps the face from getting scraped in tight spaces.

One of the concerns that was taught 20 years ago when I got certified was not to attach things across your midline. In case you need to ditch your equipment it is one less thing you have to worry about unfastening. Clipping across your chest to the right strap or D-ring is often done but strikes me as bad form. If you are worried about excess hose, get a shorter Hp hose.

Ditching is not real common anymore but for technical types loosening the waist strap to reach up and turn off a valve is and a HP hose across the midline could potentially interfere with doing this quickly and smoothly.

The SPG from the right tank is another matter and is just bolt snapped to a D-ring on the left side. I can read it without having to unclip it and it really does not get read nearly as often or in as much detail as the computer/SPG/compass attached to the left tank.

DA Aquamaster once bubbled...
I use a retractor on the left upper D-ring. It keeps it from dangling and leaves it accessible with either had when the time comes to pull it out and look at it.

I also clip it on the outside edge so that the face lays against my chest. This keeps the face from getting scraped in tight spaces.

I clip mine off the same way, for much the same reasons.

I wear my depth and timing devices on my right wrist, my compass on my left
wrist and my SPG on a proper length hose clipped off to a D-Ring on my BCD waist strap on the left side.

By mounting my depth and timing device on my right wrist its always available for me to look, no hunting for it and no clipping or unclipping required. During ascents when its pretty critical to monitor my depth the gauge on right wrist is readily available while my left hand is used to adjust my buoyancy.

When needed the compass is also readily available on the left wrist. Since it so available I find that I glance at it more frequently and use the information to remain aware about where I am during the dive.

The SPG clipped to D-Ring on the waist strap falls readily in my hand when I need to check it. To be honest I normally only
check it a couple of times during the dive as I have a pretty good idea on how much gas is remaining in my tank based on my depth profile, the time and my exertion level. The SPG does provide a sanity check.

Marc Hall
www.enjoythedive.com

retractors are very useful, although some ppl dont like them. i keep my console/retractor clipped off the left snap clip on the waistline on my bc. its more natural here for me becoz i dive with a drysuit(rather than clipping it higher up where the DS inflator is).
a good point made above not to clip it off the right side of the body, ive done that and had to do a gear removal in water....not a pretty sight!:eek:ut:

I have my SPG (Only a SPG, no boot.) running off a short hose on the left side. I tied a bolt snap to the hose using cave line. I have use an O-ring in the past. The SPG is then clipped off to my left side D-ring.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom