Opinions on clipping gauges in general

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

squirrel once bubbled...
a good point made above not to clip it off the right side of the body, ive done that and had to do a gear removal in water....not a pretty sight!:eek:ut:

I did that ONCE. No problems in the water, but trying to get it unclipped with my somewhat cold fingers after the dive, so I could get my BC off, so I could get my wetsuit off so I could run to the washroom. :wink: I've never clipped anything across again. :D

Try to cut down or eliminate metal-to-metal connections with those clips.
Use plastic ties in-between metal-to-metal connections just in-case of a clip jam or entanglement.

MikeFerrara once bubbled...
I put my computer/depth gauge/bottom timmer on my right rist. I put my compass on my left wrist. I have a SPG on short high presure hose clipped off to my left hip d-ring. Nothing dangles and everything I need in front of me is there.

same here

Bottom Timer on right wrist.

Compass and backup timer on left wrist.

I can see all of these gauges simply by looking ahead of me.

SPG without a boot on relatively short hose. SS bolt snap tied with cave line to SPG. Bolt snap clipped to left D-Ring on waist.

With my Cressi Big Eyes, I can see the SPG by tilting it and looking down. Its also easy to unclip and bring to eye level.

I have an air integrated computer and compass on the same console. I clip in on left shoulder strap D ring with a retractor. It's easy to reach and see.

Complaint: If you buy a retractor, makes sure it isn't from a company that "burrs" the screws so that you can't take it apart and fix it. Pretty cheesy way to do business.

With my compass on the left wrist and my bottom timer on the right, the only thing clipped is my SPG.

I don't clip any of them. Don't need to. Makes for more task loading. Just run HP hose under left arm and secure between cumberbun and waist clip. Just raise it with either hand to view. Run octo under right arm. Double octo hose and stick it into the shoulder strap pocket where the right shoulder strap clip emerges. It' s secure and another diver can readily see it and it's readily accessible. No loose stuff.

I use a bolt snap to clip each item of my gear into place.

Rather than an instrument console, I have a lone SPG that I clip with a bolt snap to my left shoulder strap D-ring. It is always there, and all I have to do is look down to find it, read it and dive on. I normally turn around at 1/2 my total SPG pressure on a non-penitration dive, and at 1/3 my total SPG pressure on a penitration dive.

I breathe off my octo as my primary reg, and that has a bolt snap attached to it as well, like in the DIR configuration, except my octo is not on a 7 ft hose unless this is a penitration dive. When my reg is not in my mouth, it is clipped onto my right shoulder strap D-ring, all ready to go, while I snorkel out to my descent point.

My signalling sausage is rolled up and held tight with a piece of bicycle tire innertubing, and it is clipped with a bolt snap onto one of my D-rings as well.

I have a jon line that I keep rolled up and held tight with another piece of bicycle innertubing, and it is clipped with a bolt snap to yet another D-ring on my B/C.

Everything should be bolt snapped to your D-rings, and none of your gear should hang loose and drag around.

Right chest D ring on clip and short piece of bungee cord. It is long enough to look at but short enough to be out of the way. That is when I use an spg, normally I dive hoseless.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom