Opinions on Dive Rite SPG

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sparky30 once bubbled...
Could someone please explain why everybody is removing the boot? Its pretty streamlined compared to other gauges.. and just saying its DIR won't cut it.. I need a better explanation to understand... :)

1) you don't need it
2) traps moisture
3) promotes corosion

Dave D

The reasoning for removing the boot (I believe and I am sure someone will correct me if I am wrong) is that if a leak ocurred at the connection point between the gauge and the hose then the boot would cover up that leak and you might (keyword: might) not notice it as easily as not having the boot were the leak would be extremely obvious.

Not DIR but headed that way.

Jason

dmdalton once bubbled...

1) you don't need it
2) traps moisture
3) promotes corosion

If I remember correctly (removed the boot a while ago and simply left the boot at the LDS), the 'neck' of the boot extended a couple of inches 'up' the hose...

If you are want to conveniently clip the gauge off so that it is flush with your hip, its difficult to do with that neck in the way. Remove the boot, and you have your SS clip flush with the gauge and ready to clip off at your hip w/o the need for any excess hose. No excess hose = fewer entanglement hazards...

dmdalton once bubbled...
3) promotes corosion

I just sold my old bailout bottle to bushman, and realized he needed a reg. So we dug out his old first stage, and took my old dacor octo on it. We then went to hook up one of his old pressure guages. I took it out of the console and sure enough... it's so corroded where the shaft of the boot went over the hose connector, we couldn't get the hose off at all.

Good product, will provide many years of great service... And, I actually know of a LDS that sells them!!! Imagine that!!!

Back
Top Bottom