Question Change only the SPG/IP tube of regulators

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

L2m

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hello there,

In preparation for potential dives ahead I'm checking out an old set of regulator. The SPG that comes with the original packaging has always been giving some wrong readings (about 10 bars more than actual value) and is slightly damaged, so I'd like to replace it. May I ask if I could use any replacement SPG I like, or shall I always aim to replace a SPG with the exact same brand of SPG that comes within the original packaging?

I remember when taking a course on regulator maintenance that it was said the same compatible second stage must be used with a given first stage due to IP compatibility. I am not sure if the same matter applies with the SPG since it measures the HP, and in my opinion all SPGs should do the exact same work despite difference in precision.

Here I've assumed the SPG I bought to replace will be compatible with the HP port size on my regulator first stage (i.e. they both use 5/8 inch-sized HP tube).

Thanks in advance for advice.

Do you have a console it is mounted in or just a bare spg?

Do you have a console it is mounted in or just a bare spg?
Just a bare SPG, pretty much the same one you'll find on a regulator set I think, nothing else.

Then you can use any SPG you like. Every manufacturer has one with their name on it. 90% of them come from the same factory.

In preparation for potential dives ahead I'm checking out an old set of regulator. The SPG that comes with the original packaging has always been giving some wrong readings (about 10 bars more than actual value) and is slightly damaged, so I'd like to replace it.

It is quite normal for SPGs to be out by a few bars. And 10 bars is not something I'd worry about too much. That's the difference in pressure drop you'll see between taking your tank from a hot car and jumping into cool water.

If the damage you mention is more than superficial cosmetic damage, then that may be good reason to switch it out.

May I ask if I could use any replacement SPG I like, or shall I always aim to replace a SPG with the exact same brand of SPG that comes within the original packaging?

Any SPG will do the job for you. Anything made this century will use the same threads on both ends of the hose. It sounds like you've already bought a new SPG with hose? That's just a 30 second job to loosen the existing one and put the new one on. Just do the hose finger tight up to the HP port on the first stage, and then snub it just a little tighter with a wrench.

If you dont know the age of the hose, get a new one at the same time.

I remember when taking a course on regulator maintenance that it was said the same compatible second stage must be used with a given first stage due to IP compatibility. I am not sure if the same matter applies with the SPG since it measures the HP, and in my opinion all SPGs should do the exact same work despite difference in precision.
what class was this?

Most regs are compatible though.

There are a few weirdos out there.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom