What else to buy when buying a regulator?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bolt snaps to tie on the hose ends of your primary and SPG. Bungee necklace for secondary? Tube of silicon. Perhaps a IP pressure gauge to keep tabs of first stage pressure. Not regulator related, but they have good (and inexpensive) compasses.​
I've never understood why people attach a bolt snap to the hose next to the primary reg. What's its purpose? Just to keep things tidy on the boat?

I've never understood why people attach a bolt snap to the hose next to the primary reg. What's its purpose? Just to keep things tidy on the boat?
On a long hose configuration, the bolt snap is used to clip it off when donning/doffing gear. It keeps the regulator off the ground and out from under tanks. We tend to coil the hose and clip off the regulator. Hence the bolt snap on the hose.

Yep.

Its supposed to just keep the reg secure to the shoulder d ring whole donning or offing. Clip your necklace in too.

But in reality it just adds weight to the primary so it bounces off the boats deck twice as hard, when you drop it every tank swap.

I've often wondered why dive boats don't have a better wall to lash the rig to. To make it easier gearing up.

On a long hose configuration, the bolt snap is used to clip it off when donning/doffing gear. It keeps the regulator off the ground and out from under tanks. We tend to coil the hose and clip off the regulator. Hence the bolt snap on the hose.

Also useful for hanging to dry

Yeah it has been mentioned and my two different dirt cheap at DGX ones read different
which doesn't matter as I don't test IP anyway

Dude!

To clip the primary second to a shoulder dring when not breathing it
dive gear is not for the boat or the plane or the holiday or to be easy or a guessing game

Here's my latest favorite guy showing us how it is

I'd just splurge on the regulators and purchase the very best that you can afford.

Let that be your primary concern -- everything else in diving, from head to toe, is just window dressing and subject to personal taste as much, if not more, than supposed necessity -- and there is little to nothing that I have not replaced in terms of the types of wetsuits, drysuits, and BCs over four-plus decades in the water.

My regulators, however, even those from when I first began, are still regularly put to use (often as ponies and on stage bottles nowadays) -- because they can still be serviced to this day; were and are dependable; were not absolute crap and subject, as so many things are in the dive industry, to the annual reinvention of the wheel and planned obsolescence . . .

Since you already bought regulators I won't expand on choices there.

Get yourself tools that fit snugly. Likely a 14mm and/or 9/16", and an 11/16" or 17mm wrench and a 5mm or 3/16" and an 8mm or 5/16" Allen key. Check which ones fit your hoses before purchasing. A 14mm will not fit on a 9/16" nut, nor will a 17mm fit on an 11/16" nut, and a 5mm Allen key will not fit in a 3/16" hex port plug. The other way around there may be quite a bit of play, which could damage the nuts or plugs.
For my Apeks regulator set I have a 14mm for HP hoses, 9/16" for LP hoses, and 11/16" for swivel connectors, and a 5mm Allen for the port plugs. The 8mm or 5/16" (near as makes no difference exactly the same size) is for removing DIN-to-Yoke adaptor rings in cylinder valves.
Get an O-ring set.
Get a padded regulator bag.
Get at least one spare mouthpiece.
Couple of zip ties to tie the mouthpiece to the regulator.
Needle nose pliers and a utility knife for tightening the zip tie and cutting it flush.
Small bolt snap for the long hose.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom