opinions on school

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It has nothing to do with immigrants ... American citizens as divers open the companies up to greater liability in case of accidents ... this is what I have been led to believe. Not sure if this is the case. I am not a British citizen, but am an 'old hand' in the North Sea, having worked both the Brit and Norwegian sectors.

Not that I doubt that. Just from what I read during the recession in the UK years ago they wanted to allow their citizens to work. Seeing all the Americans on the rigs pissed alot of the Yukes off and wanted to know why they couldnt have jobs but Americans could.

Not that I doubt that. Just from what I read during the recession in the UK years ago they wanted to allow their citizens to work. Seeing all the Americans on the rigs pissed alot of the Yukes off and wanted to know why they couldnt have jobs but Americans could.

Yes, that's true ... and that was because the best commercial divers did come from the US.
Legendary divers like Murray Black and our very own "Akimbo" here on Scubaboard .
But thats not the case anymore. There are great divers coming in from all over the world.
The divers in the North Sea are a diverse lot.
As far as I know the main reason today for US offshore divers not being hired in the Perisan Gulf, North Sea, Asia etc. is this :

"The U.S. Congress adopted the Merchant Marine Act in early June 1920, formerly 46 U.S.C. § 688 and codified on October 6, 2006 as 46 U.S.C. § 30104. The Act formalized the rights of seamen.It allows injured sailors to make claims and collect from their employers for the negligence of the ship owner, the captain, or fellow members of the crew.[4] It operates simply by extending similar legislation already in place that allowed for recoveries by railroad workers and providing that this legislation also applies to sailors. Its operative provision is found at 46 U.S.C. § 688(a), which provides:
"Any sailor who shall suffer personal injury in the course of his employment may, at his election, maintain an action for damages at law, with the right to trial by jury, and in such action all statutes of the United States modifying or extending the common-law right or remedy in cases of personal injury to railway employees shall apply..."
This allows seamen to bring actions against ship owners based on claims of unseaworthiness or negligence. These are rights not afforded by common international maritime law.
The United States Supreme Court, in the case of Chandris, Inc., v. Latsis, 515 U.S. 347, 115 S.Ct. 2172 (1995), has set a benchmark for determining the status of any employee as a "Jones Act" seaman. Any worker who spends less than 30 percent of his time in the service of a vessel on navigable waters is presumed not to be a seaman under the Jones Act. An action under the Act may be brought either in a U.S. federal court or in a state court. The seaman/plaintiff is entitled to a jury trial, a right which is not afforded in maritime law absent a statute authorizing it.
Both of these measures and rulings were heavily resisted by large corporations. Hoping to lower wages and working conditions to third world levels, the shipping companies where unable to retrieve even more profit from the growing international trade. In turn, they have made a number of criticism and publicity campaigns to end the Jones Act entirely. "

Bombay High, It seems to me that most of the really big companies that are in the game are truly multi-national. When I was the Director of Diving Operations for Global (Asia) we had our HQ in Jakarta. This division was registered in-country, so we were held to Indonesian law. Where the employees come from is not an issue as long as they have a work permit (which isn't a problem as anyone regardless of nationality can own a company there and the 'authorities' are flexible).

Interesting ... does this mean that the dive company cannot be held liable for an American citizen, in a US court ?

Interesting ... does this mean that the dive company cannot be held liable for an American citizen, in a US court ?

The question to ask, is where did the action (or inaction) occur? It's a matter of judicial jurisdiction rather than the nationality of the employee. In the majority of situations, legal action is taken against the employer (although the employee may be included within the law suit). Like I mentioned, most of the large-scale diving contractors are multi-national corporations, which are required to be licensed to operate within the jurisdiction concerned. The employer is responsible that for all work conducted within the guidelines and regulations specified by that jurisdiction.

Diving companies work under contract. Each contract clearly outlines the jurisdiction issues involved. But to clearly answer your question (sometimes I ramble), a dive company can be held liable for an American citizen, in a U.S. court only if said action/inaction occurred within the jurisdiction of that court. U.S. courts do not generally have jurisdiction in foreign countries.

a dive company can be held liable for an American citizen, in a U.S. court only if said action/inaction occurred within the jurisdiction of that court. U.S. courts do not generally have jurisdiction in foreign countries.

Ok .. so thats the part I had wrong. I was under the impression that when you hired a US citizen (offshore only) you became liable in a US court. Not sure how I came to understand that.

C.
I have been thinking about becoming a commercial diver for over a year now, reading forums, researching schools and talking to family friends in the industry. I have made the decision that it is something i want to pursue and would just like to get the input from as many people as possible who are STILL in the industry. In a lot of what i have been reading people are saying save some money and stay away from the big schools that are more like corporations and go with a state program. and other are saying go for it. from what I have found cda seems to offer the most certs but I understand that doesn't mean you're gonna leave with all of them and i also heard that they will not fail people for the most part, that scares the **** outta me!! I have also heard that the school in Louisiana is by far the least expensive way to go if you stay in the states and offers the most realist training if you're going to work in the gom. Has anybody been their or work with people who have??

I understand that out of school i'll be a tender for the first couple years if I get a job off-shore and was told i could expect 14-15 an hr but expect to work 12hr days and 90 straight at times. any truth to that?? but could be suiting up the first day working inland but for a smaller company for less money and not as steady work. are these just pipe dreams or actual fact? I have heard that the industry is kinda dry right now in the US but could pick up after the election...any truth to that?

I know that if i want to work oversees i need to get my IMCA cert. and honestly I think this is the route i'm leaning twords at least for the first couple years of my career. I heard that you will not work nearly as many days in a row oversees like you would in the states! would it be better to go to school oversees to get the IMCA cert? I heard there is a school in norway that is only like 7k US and they speak english. Has anyone been there or work with people who have? My family friend who went to school in the states also went to a school in Scottland a couples years later to get into sat and he said that's where he wishes he would have just gone to begin with. and he also recommended that i get emt/dmt certs when im going through school to give me more of a chance of getting a job, but i heard the US standard takes more time and is more preferred. any truth to that??

I am ready to work my @:: off to prove myself during and after school. and am just trying to get the most bang for my buck when it comes to getting the nessecary certs. without getting ripped off and having a bunch of debt hanging over my head with the possibility of not being able to find work. I know that EVERY school is gonna tell you that they're the best and they can do yada yada yada but as people in the industry where do you see/know people coming from that achieve the most?? and what steps did they take or did you take to get there?? I know that no school can guarentee they turn out the best divers and it depends all on the person but what in your opinion what is the best program??

Hi
I finish my course with DIVESAFE INTERNATIONAL .They are excellent in what they do.Their location its in Campbell River ,Canada !
Home | DiveSafe International - BC, Canada, Commercial diving courses for careers in Aquaculture, Engineering Inspections, Environment
Good luck
Peter

DivingOtter said:
yes schools are in it for the money and could basically give a rats ass about you after your done. Trust me
Well said... My vote U.S. Navy
Want a future? Hire in with a major Oil Company.... Union.... why work hard?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom