opinon on mares abyss 2000

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TJisthe1

Reaction score
I was told that this reg is as, if not more reliable than some of mares top regs, any opinions?? I really have taken a likeing to it and I believe I am fixing to buy and put a Axis octo on it.

The Abyss is one of Mares top regs, without getting into exotic materials like rubys. I've been using my Abyss since they first came out (mid 90's) and everytime I mention to my local dive shop that I'm thinking about upgrading he says, "don't bother." In short the Abyss is a very good reg, yes there are better regs out there, but marginally.
:)

The Abyss is commonly considered Mares best performing regulator. The Axis octo, however, while a good performing unit, tends to have a problem with free flows. I would look for an older Nikos or even the Proton octo.

I have a Mares Abyss and absolutely love it. The Proton Octo is just as smooth.

Yeah, It's a bit heavier than others, but I feel safe with the performance and ruggedness.

James

That's what I dive. No complaints here. :D

Abyss octo seemed just too expensive and Axis did't look solid enough.

I guess I will go try out a proton octo and see how I like it and put it on the abyss set up. Thanks alot for the responses!!

I have two complete sets of Abyss first stage (MR22) with the Abyss seconds. I use them for cave diving and my primary is an Abyss and my secondary is an Abyss. Same quality, same performance......no short cuts.

Hello,

I have experience with both the older style and the 2000 style. Someone decided they needed my old style better than I did so I was forced for file an insurance claim, now I have the 2000 style. As for the differences they seem the same, the face plate around the purge button is different and that's the only notable change I can find.

This reg is one of the top performers you can find on the market today. Some complain about the weight but I have no problems with that.

Ed

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom