Oppurtunity of a life time

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Griswoldstahl

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I have a chance to update all of my 15+ y/o scub gear and would like suggestions. I have an oppurtunity to buy SeaQuest items (from www.aqualung.com) at a fraction of dealer cost!

What BC would you buy? Pro QD+, Balance, etc.
I'll never get into cave or tech diving and do more rec. diving than anything else in NE and the Carib.

What dive computer? Vyper, Stinger, Mosquito, etc.

I'm keeping my old fins, mask, regs, etc, but a newer BC and dive computer would be a nice change.

I really like both my Balance BC and Cobra computer. The computer came with the quick disconnect, and the jury's still out on whether I like it or not...seriously considering taking it off and just attaching it directly to the hose. I have all aqualung stuff because all the dive shops around here sell it and service it.
Have fun with your new stuff!

I am an Aqualung/SeaQuest fan also. I too get all my gear at a fraction of retail, full warranty.
I have a Legend LX which very well could be the last reg I ever own. It is awesome. Easy to work on, adjust, maintain. You don't ever have to work to breathe, even if you should surpass the recreational diving limit of 130'. 'Nuf said.

My BC is a SeaQuest Pro QD+ Surelock. It too is incredible. Very comfortable, hardly even know it's on. The only drawback I see is that it does take up a bit of room when traveling. But well worth it for the comfort and knowing it's mine. The only BC I think I might replace the QD+ with would be the Pro Unlimited.

I have also used the Cobra and like it a lot. Very easy to use and has the ability to use EAN. The only reason I don't have one is because I was able to get a brand new Cochran Commander fully loaded for $100.

Like you, I do rec diving in both cold (UK) water and warm water. I have a ProQD and I really like it. Comfortable, well made, lots of D rings and integrated weights :wink: It is a bit heavy and bulky for travelling, but that's the only real drawback.

I'd recommend the Vyper. Great computer, no complaints. Not sure about the BCD.

I just don't have much experience with bcd's so I didn't want to recommend anything specific. I'm currently diving a bp/wing, and before that dove a zeagle tech, and that's all I've used other then rental gear a couple years back.

bcsean:
I just don't have much experience with bcd's so I didn't want to recommend anything specific. I'm currently diving a bp/wing, and before that dove a zeagle tech, and that's all I've used other then rental gear a couple years back.

basically I have dove with many different BC's. 20 years ago I learned and dove 60+ dives with a horse neck collar. MOst of you guys probably never heard of those OR collect them as antiques. I now have an Ocean Ray BCD, but want to upgrade to the "real" world yet again, LOL.

Griswoldstahl:
20 years ago I learned and dove 60+ dives with a horse neck collar. MOst of you guys probably never heard of those OR collect them as antiques.
Aw, shucks! The old horse collar at our sailing club went so well with my anchor chain for a weight belt.

As to the various gear, I've seen several coworkers with problems with the Stinger. Perhaps you'd have better luck, but I'd go with the Cobra.

Griswoldstahl:
any real drawbacks with the Balance BC?
The pull-down pocket sucks. It holds a ton of stuff, but it's nearly impossible to zip back up underwater. My wife has a Libra...same bc for women...same deal, we hafta zip each other's pocket back up. Other than that, I can't think of any other problem I have with it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom