Optimal and worst time of the year for Phuket?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JDelage

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
When would people recommend as the best and worst time of the year for a diving vacation in Phuket?

The "high" season in Phuket is from November to/into April. That is when the weather is driest, the sea flattest, the water bluest. But there is variation within that period, too. Last year we had significant rain until mid-December, and along with that some decidedly un-flat sea conditions. Then there is the influx of tourists over the year-end holidays for six to eight weeks; this is when dive boats are most crowded and prices (as well as availability) of accommodations is at a premium.

The "low" season is from April/May to November; this is when the winds come to whip up the waves (and bring rain) and trips to the Similans all but cease. Again there are variations within this period, and many people think March/April/May are the very best times to visit because of the lack of crowding at dive sites, mostly flat water, and lower prices for accommodations.

Best of the best: March, April and early May. February also good. January also (after mid Jan). If you love crowds and expensive hotels, then mid December to mid January is good. November can be good, but can (like last year) not be settled yet.

Worst: Oh, come on! No bad time of year here :) I guess September/October can be the worst, but you can't predict the weather...

Thanks. I'm looking for a fix Aug / Sept / Oct, and it seems that it's not the best time for Phuket (which doesn't mean I won't go there nonetheless...

For me coming from cold murky water, if it's warm and there's water, preferably a boat that's willing to take me out, that's all I need.

I don't care about chop. Did that in Maui. Just have to get your timing right getting back on the boat.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom