Orbicular Batfish..........kill it or leave in peace.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just a thought, if these are aquarium releases there is no way of knowing how many there are out there...

Anyone call fwc to see what there opinion is?

I know I reported a tegu lizard and was told if I see them in the future I should kill it on the spot. Being the callous prick I am I will gladly do my part in the future.

Dispatch it or take it home and stick it in an aquarium. You won't find much sympathy amongst the biologists regarding exotic species in the wild. It needs to be removed, one way or another.

Dispatch it or take it home and stick it in an aquarium. You won't find much sympathy amongst the biologists regarding exotic species in the wild. It needs to be removed, one way or another.

Sorry Chug. I guess it's the end of the line for him...

The track record for non-invasive exotic animals *staying exotic* is pretty dismal. It's sort of like Jurassic Park.

It's often more accurate to think of an exotic as a "prototype invasive". Benign cancer is also fairly descriptive. You are on a hair edge waiting for the thing to go malignant. Hmm... I think I will steal that analogy from myself and use it in class.

Where do you teach?

Last edited:
And apparently 95% of Canadians winter someplace besides Canada...

I think we need to clear up a terminology problem. By definition, a non-native species is an organism that has been introduced to a area is was previously thought to not inhabit. An invasive species, for US legal purposes and most biological applications, is a non-native species which directly impacts the environment, local ecosystems, or human health in a negative way.

I will be honest and admit I was lazy and did not do my homework, but as far as I know this is NOT an invasive species. The only way I can envision it becoming an invasive is if it indirectly outcompetes the local spadefish and their populations numbers start to shift. Honestly, it probably is better to kill it, but it seems to not be causing any harm at the moment.

Fify.... :wink:

honestly, it probably is better to kill it, but it seems to not be causing any harm at the moment. Lionfish are not real common in their native habitat

An invasive species is an exotic species that went bad.

All invasives start out as exotics.

You can often eradicate an exotic. If it metastasizes into an invasive you're pretty much screwed forever.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom