Orca wetsuits vs. Bare wetsuits

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Eli24

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi...I'm looking to buy a new wetsuit and am caught between two brands-Orca and Bare. So i am in need of some expert opinion on which one would be better.

Welcome to the board...

You may want to post a little info about yourself, (Your measurements, built, etc.) so people can help you decide.

I would also tell you that trying the suits on would be the only way to really tell which one would be better for you. Is there a reason you're looking at only these two brands?

I like Bare suits, because I can actually get one off the rack that actually fits my long body and it's not too big around the waist. But that may not matter to you!

Wiz

Yea i'm about 6ft ... 90 kg's ... Also i would like to know if i choose a bare wetsuit, what thickness of the suit is best. I dive in Fiji and the water is warm all year around.

I dive year round on a Bare 3/2 and the waters here are from the low 70s to the 90s. It really depends on your personal tolerance. Do you know the average water temperatures in Fiji?

Wiz

I purchased a Bare Arctic 7mm for diving in the PNW. I am 6'3" and the XL Tall is the perfect fit as otherwise I was ending up with too much waist room.

Not familiar with Orca. I have a Bare 3/2 Velocity I use for warm water diving (which is not something I get to do nearly enough!). I chose Bare because it was the only company I could find that made a stock size suit that fit my body type (6'3", 185#).

I have an Orca 3/2 mm wet suit.
Pros: For its price, it has several nice features, including zippered wrists and ankles, which make putting it on and taking it off easier. It has little features like a little velcro tab behind your back so that you can secure the end of the back-zipper pull tab and prevent it from flopping about. The knee pads are very basic - but they do the job.
Cons: It might have been my body type, (5'6", 140 lbs suit size M)but the way the suit was cut, it would bunch up in places.
image.php

Bottom line: No regrets getting this suit. In spite of the slight bunching, it fit me well enough to fulfill its primary role: exposure protection. And at half the price of other suits with similar features, the choice was easier.
Caveat though: I've since moved on to wearing neoprene shorts and a rashguard. Not sure what ocean temperatures are like in Fiji, but I imagine they cant be that far off from temps here in the Philippines. I've since relegated m full suit to night dives and/or colder months.

Finally dove with the Bare Arctic suit and hooded vest this weekend. Outside temps 32, water temp 50. Two 40 minute dives and I was warm throughout.

Wow! thanks everyone for really helpful feedback on the thread. I have found the feedback was really helpful and has lead me to go with the Bear 3/2.

Cheers

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom