Review OrcaTorch D530

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tursiops

Marine Scientist and Master Instructor (retired)
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
I've had a lot of lights, and this is one of the best in its class. The 18650 battery is a sweet spot in light sizes....enough power to be bright but last a while, but not too long to charge or too heavy to carry, and affordable. The light is bright -- the mfg can't seem to decide if it is 1200 or 1300 lumens -- and that is plenty for most conditions, including looking under ledges in the daytime. The 7-deg beam with a good umbra is a nice compromise beam pattern. The switch is easy to use...push once and it is on, again and it is half-bright, and again and it is off. There is a battery-level indicator to suggest charge level. Especially nice for travel is a lock function: push the button 5+ secs and it turns off until double-[ressed quickly. The feel of the light is solid...not a cheap feel. Good lanyard/bolt-snap attachment point on the rear. I like it a lot, so much so that I gave my wife the lightI have been carrying and now carry the D530. I've used it on day dives and night dives, and it seems to last forever. The battery that comes with it has a micro-usb built-in for charging, which I've used as well as putting the cell into a standard charger. No issues.

I have a D530.. nice light. It is nice how compact it is. I have read that the button gets sticky at depth and won't function correctly but I haven't played with it at depth to test that yet. What's the max that you've taken it to? No issues?

I have a D530.. nice light. It is nice how compact it is. I have read that the button gets sticky at depth and won't function correctly but I haven't played with it at depth to test that yet. What's the max that you've taken it to? No issues?
I used it at 100 ft, don't remember any issues.

As expected... half-cocked review. No mention of replaceable O-rings or if they are solid, or if it can have a bolt-snap attached. Size of light head, and if it can be tucked away under a rubber loop. Also, can it be used with a soft-Goodman handle?

You don't have to act like an arsehole to get the information you are after.

For your benefit as well as others':

1. The OrcaTorch D530 is triple o-ring sealed. The o-rings are replaceable, and a replacement set is included with the torch.

2. A bolt snap can be attached to the tail end of the torch.

3. The light head diameter is approximately 3.5cm to the outer edges of the bezel, and approximately 3cm diameter to the inner edges of the bezel.

4. The torch can be easily tucked away under a rubber loop mounted on one's harness, or stored in a BCD/wetsuit/drysuit/etc. pocket. The overall torch length (not including boltsnap) is approximately 14.5cm.

5. It can be used with a soft-goodman handle, but I recommend one attach a stainless steel split ring to the soft goodman handle and connect the torch to via a bolt snap, to prevent the possibility of the torch slipping out while in the water. It fits snugly enough, when dry, in the soft Goodman handle that came with my OrcaTorch D550, but I would not trust it in the water without attaching it to a split ring.

I tend to not use the soft Goodman handle with my torches, and instead clip the boltsnap to the cord of the bungee mount of my dive computer.

OrcaTorch D530.jpg

Soft Goodman handle on left hand:
OrcaTorch D530 (2).jpg

Soft Goodman handle on right hand:
OrcaTorch D530 (3).jpg

-Z

I have dived mine down to between 30m and 40m and cycled the button multiple times, and did not have any issues with the button sticking.

I recall reading a review awhile back, I think here on Scubaboard, where the reviewer mentioned the button sticking issue...I believe I got my D530 prior to that review being written (I believe I got mine not long after OrcaTorch started selling the D530), so I think it may have been an isolated issue.

OrcaTorch has good customer service and if I recall correctly the torch has a 1 year warranty that the company will extend to 2 years if the owner registers the torch via their website. If one experiences an issue with the button sticking at depth or any other issue with the torch, just contact OrcaTorch and I am sure they will work with you to take care of it.

-Z

As expected... half-cocked review. No mention of replaceable O-rings or if they are solid, or if it can have a bolt-snap attached. Size of light head, and if it can be tucked away under a rubber loop. Also, can it be used with a soft-Goodman handle?
This is kind of rude!
The member volunteered his time and effort to share information about the product - be thankful. You can ask whatever additional questions you have politely.
Not sure what rubber loop you are talking about. However, a loop made from a mountain bike tire on my BCD, tucks away the light nicely. O-rings look good and replaceable. Not only it works with a soft Goodman handle, but it comes with one in the set. I also have taken this light to 100+ ft and did not observe any malfunctions.
Cheers.

I have dived mine down to between 30m and 40m and cycled the button multiple times, and did not have any issues with the button sticking.

I recall reading a review awhile back, I think here on Scubaboard, where the reviewer mentioned the button sticking issue...I believe I got my D530 prior to that review being written (I believe I got mine not long after OrcaTorch started selling the D530), so I think it may have been an isolated issue.

OrcaTorch has good customer service and if I recall correctly the torch has a 1 year warranty that the company will extend to 2 years if the owner registers the torch via their website. If one experiences an issue with the button sticking at depth or any other issue with the torch, just contact OrcaTorch and I am sure they will work with you to take care of it.

-Z

I bought 2 of them solely based on the fact that the specs said it had a depth rating of 150m and it had a triple o-ring. Befor I was using the big blue backup lights that everyone has but was always nervous to take it below 120m (depth rating is 100m) but the Big Blue lights still function at those depths. So the Orcatorch on paper looked great and its the only light in its class with 150m depth rating. But sadly both have sticky buttons around 40m-45m and deeper making them useless to me. The button is just sucked in flat nothing you can do with it. I have tried turning them on in the shallows and just leaving them on but at about 80m they do a strange on/off thing and then aprox. 120m they completely shut off, I am assuming the constant pressure on the button puts it into some kind of forced off mode??

But if your just using these for recreation putting around they are a great light and you will not be disappointed but for me it was a little bit of false advertising that they are 150m depth rated. Yes the light will not flood but it is not functional below 45m and I bought they because they had a 150m rating.

I bought 2 of them solely based on the fact that the specs said it had a depth rating of 150m and it had a triple o-ring. Befor I was using the big blue backup lights that everyone has but was always nervous to take it below 120m (depth rating is 100m) but the Big Blue lights still function at those depths. So the Orcatorch on paper looked great and its the only light in its class with 150m depth rating. But sadly both have sticky buttons around 40m-45m and deeper making them useless to me. The button is just sucked in flat nothing you can do with it. I have tried turning them on in the shallows and just leaving them on but at about 80m they do a strange on/off thing and then aprox. 120m they completely shut off, I am assuming the constant pressure on the button puts it into some kind of forced off mode??

But if your just using these for recreation putting around they are a great light and you will not be disappointed but for me it was a little bit of false advertising that they are 150m depth rated. Yes the light will not flood but it is not functional below 45m and I bought they because they had a 150m rating.

I have not taken the button off of mine but there was another manufacturer that sold a light with an o ring under the button face. I guess the idea was to try and keep debris out but air would get trapped in there as well.. same thing would happen and the button would have issues at depth. The fix was just to remove the o ring.

Just a thought. The face should unscrew with a small screwdriver or pick to turn it.

As expected,.....half-cocked response. :poke:
Others have already answered your questions (as did I in the OP about the boltsnap...).
Or, you could have gotten your answers from the manufacturer's website or from Amazon.com.
Not only do you have poor reading skills and no social skills, you are lazy.

Back
Top Bottom