Orcatorch Issues

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Random Dude

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hi all,

I' recently bought an Orcatorch D520 as a backup light.

Immediate on my next dive trip (2 days after purchase) I'm having issues with it where, intermittently, the torch (roughly 1 out of 15 times) either doesn't turn on or flickers when it turns on.

Most of the times where I managed to replicate the issue was when both the torch and battery was cold (I.e. not yet warmed up) Have also tried switching batteries (I have around 8 or 9 Panasonic NCR18650Bs all of which had no issues with other torches including another D520) but the issue persists.

Went to the dealer where I bought the torch from and supplied them with 2 videos of the issue. They allegedly tested it by using the light "non stop" for a week long dive trip. They subsequently took one video of the light working properly, and concluded that it was because the official Orcatorch batteries were not used. No other inspection or test was done by them.

Now, my issue with their conclusion is that my other D520, and my buddy's 2 D520s and one D620 never had an issue with not using the official Orcatorch batteries (all said torches used Panasonic NCR18650Bs from the same supplier). When questioned, the dealer said that the difference was a "technical" matter that I wouldn't understand despite me asking them to explain more. Dealer also refused to escalate matter to Orcatorch as they concluded that there were "no issues".

My questions to the board are:

(a) Is it a known issue that Orcatorches won't work well with non-official batteries (cause I was initially considering purchasing a orcatorch D630 v.2.0 canister light, would reconsider if there's such a limitation)?

(b) Does the conclusion of the dealer make sense (as im considering to further check with Orcatorch to make sure the issues are not indicative of latent defects)?

*As an additional question, I'm quite disappointed with this purchase as me and my buddies have had quite positive experiences with Orcatorch since from 2018. I'm on the fence on whether to switch to other brands. As such, are there any other known issues with Orcatorch that I should take into account?

Would appreciate your views on the above. Thanks in advance!

@OrcaTorch

When questioned, the dealer said that the difference was a "technical" matter that I wouldn't understand despite me asking them to explain more. Dealer also refused to escalate matter to Orcatorch as they concluded that there were "no issues".

That's a huge red flag for me, whether it's a scuba dealer, car dealer, or anyone else. Their refusal to try and explain it suggests that they don't have a good answer and don't want to deal with it.

I agree with the recommendations to contact @OrcaTorch directly. They're posting on SB enough that I'd hope they'd be willing to discuss things with you directly.

FWIW, I have an Orcatorch D530 and D550 using non-Orcatorch batteries without problems.

I would be more tempted to switch dealers than brands at this point.
yeah, that was my initial reaction as well, but sadly there is currently only one orcatorch dealer in the whole of my country (Malaysia).

As such, any more purchases of Orcatorch products would likely result in me having to cross paths with said dealer again.

I agree with the recommendations to contact @OrcaTorch directly. They're posting on SB enough that I'd hope they'd be willing to discuss things with you directly.

Yeah, guess I will drop them an email on it, and wait for their response

Hello Melvin Moi Kai Sen, we are so sorry to hear this. We sent you the message directly just now, may we know if you received it? Please no worries, we will let our after-sales team help you solve the problem directly.

Keep us posted on whether it gets resolved.

I own several orcatorch lights and don't have problems with them.
I also use in 1 several brands of 18650 batteries. The only thing I can think about is that the orcatorch ones are a little bit longer as you can charge them with usb on the battery. But as said, I also use normal ones and they also work.
The ones without pcb I don't have. btw, I own the same panasonic ones as you mention.

This really sound to me a dealer thing and not an orcatorch thing. Yes, with every brand sometimes there will be a bad product. The aftersales makes how you will trust the product after it. But 'too difficult to explain' about a battery sound really strange to me. I would have insisted to know the details as I have quite a lot of knowledge about such things.
Also 1 week non stop testing is impossible. They took it on a dive and it worked when they turned it on? That is what some people call it testing.

Keep us posted on whether it gets resolved.
Yeah, orcatorch has DM'ed me, waiting for the person in charge of my case to email me, and I'll forward all the information to them. Will keep you guys updated on how it goes.

I own several orcatorch lights and don't have problems with them.
Same here, I own a few orcatorch lights too, and are quite happy with them until this "issue". But hopefully this is just an anomaly that will be settled soon.

But 'too difficult to explain' about a battery sound really strange to me. I would have insisted to know the details as I have quite a lot of knowledge about such things.
yeah, I tried asking for details too cause I fiddle around with gear a lot, and have quite a bit of knowledge on this too, but was essentially shut down by them saying that it's a technical issue that I wont understand anyway (without any attempts to explain).

Also 1 week non stop testing is impossible. They took it on a dive and it worked when they turned it on? That is what some people call it testing.
I wanted to give them the benefit of doubt on this, but yeah, apparently their testing was just bringing it on a week long dive trip (they alleged they tested it non-stop during this trip) and using it. I expressly asked about whether they did other any other testing or whether did they check if all the specifications were within the usual parameters etc, but dealer said that such a check was not warranted as they didn't find there to be an issue.

I have 2 Orcatorch lights and have 2 issues - 1) os 1 of the rechargeable batteries no longer shows the green light once it is recharged (or even the red light sometimes when it is not) and 2) one of the lights UV light/feature is much dimmer than the other light and is basically unusable.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom