Order my snips today from EE

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Raven C

Reaction score
Since they are stainless steel, is there a particular method of maintenance?

Also, I am still looking for a dive knife. The "DIR" knife is good for cutting with two hands but as a dive tool, possibly used for digging in with, I haven't found it to work well when I used it. It really is too short - therefore not multifunctional. I don't really want a BFK but when searching for artifacts or shark teeth in the currents here I need something to dig into the bottom with in order to hold on and not get swept away, I would like it to cut, dig, and pry well too. Any suggestions?

RavenC once bubbled...
Since they are stainless steel, is there a particular method of maintenance?

Also, I am still looking for a dive knife. The "DIR" knife is good for cutting with two hands but as a dive tool, possibly used for digging in with, I haven't found it to work well when I used it. It really is too short - therefore not multifunctional. I don't really want a BFK but when searching for artifacts or shark teeth in the currents here I need something to dig into the bottom with in order to hold on and not get swept away, I would like it to cut, dig, and pry well too. Any suggestions?
Hopefully the shears are all corrosion resistant stainless, but the rivet that hold together the blades will rust a bit on most shears. A dab of silicone grease or a bit of spray will help avoid this.

If you are hunting for teeth, how about a small handheld garden rake or small handheld 3 prong clam rake?

To be perfectly honest, I thought about something like that. Even a small grapling (sp?) hook. R

I spray them with silicon spray after every dive.

They have a bit of rust. I buff it off with a wire brush every month or so.

Peter

Raven, I'm going to be river fossil hunting down there in a couple of weeks and plan on using my trusty screwdiver with a hole drilled in the handle for a lanyard to hold me against the current. I've used it up north a number of times and it works fine except in really sandy conditions.

I keep my knife for cutting only - no digging.

If you've found a better solution, I'd love to hear about it.

pdoege once bubbled...
I spray them with silicon spray after every dive.

They have a bit of rust. I buff it off with a wire brush every month or so.

Peter

Always use a stainless wire brush on stainless steel. Carbon steel wire brushes will leave tiny bits of carbon steel embedded in the stainless and cause even more rust.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom