Oriskany diving questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

k374

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
What is the typical dive profile on an Oriskany dive for an AOW diver? I know the flight deck is at 150ft, if one wanted to "land" on the flight deck on air for a minute to check it out, is this done or even allowed by the dive charters?

What parts of this wreck can be investigated at 130ft? What Nitrox mix is typically used, I see at 130ft the most common mixes will be over MOD at 1.4 ppO2.

TIA

It depends the operator, your level of experience, etc....In all honesty, its big....flat....dull, and pretty easy to see from a recreational depth,as it is so large. Another point, I don't understand why you want to go that deep with the experience you list...150 is the realm of redundancies- doubles, etc. Some ops prefer you use air, so if you accidentally drop too low, there isn't too much of a problem. The Island is fun, lots to see, very well cleaned out for mild penetrations. I have used Viking Diving, Captain Thorsen- great time.....Hope this helps.

Thanks JayJudge, I have no intent of doing anything risky and I know that 130+ makes it a tech dive. I was just wondering if the view from recreational depths is worth the dive. I am guessing it would be if the viz is pretty high.

The flight deck is at 139, but it's pretty boring. Everything you want to see is in the superstructure. Your dive will be in the 80 - 120 ft range. I used air each time I dove Big O. It's a cool dive, but a LONG ride out and back. Enjoy!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom