Osprey Transporter 90 or 120?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mje113

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
Looking to replace an old hard side case for diving travel. Last trip was impossibly tight, so I think I decided I wanted to switch to a wheeled duffle for my next trip. I carry all electronics and regs in my carry on backpack, but on my next trip I will be taking additional drysuit, second pair of fins, maybe 2 wings. So it's a lot. Curious if anyone has experience with Osprey Transporter bags and what their thoughts are between the 90 or 120... I guess for only $20 more I should just go for the bigger one but love SB's opinions.

I own the 90 and it's been well travelled. Raja Ampat, Bonaire, Roatan (2). The airlines have scuffed it up a lot, but it's taken all the punishment they meted out. So I can't comment on the lifetime warranty they offer for these bags.
I chose the 90 because I wanted to make sure it fit airline dimensions for a standard checked bag. I seem to recall that the 120 was too big - but you'd have to check that to make sure.

The 120 will still fit airline dimensions. I'd go with the bigger bag. It doesn't have to be packed completely tight, and you have some room to bring goodies back home with you.
The Shuttle 100 is my favorite bag.

Hmm, just checked American Airlines (my "local" airline) and their limit is 62"... checked the 120 and it clocks in at 75" and the 90 is 63"... not sure how strict they are Ian reality. I would like to go with the larger but also don't want to deal with oversize costs constantly.

Hmm, just checked American Airlines (my "local" airline) and their limit is 62"... checked the 120 and it clocks in at 75" and the 90 is 63"... not sure how strict they are Ian reality. I would like to go with the larger but also don't want to deal with oversize costs constantly.
Those numbers may be off, a 90 l bag over 5’ long?

38” for the 120

IMG_4365.png

They calculate it by length + width + height:

So the 120 clocks in as 75"... But that's full, which will rarely be the case for me. I think I'll get the 120.
Most airlines state 62”. I have used bags larger than this before and never been pulled up on size (except ski bags). The problem I have with bags larger than 90l is exceeding 50lbs, and they do charge me for that. Now I only travel with 62” bags.

I've been using the Osprey Shuttle 130 (which is pretty big!) and travelled to Fiji, London, Italy, Galapagos, Philippines, Palau, Curacao, Cayman, Cozumel and more with it... never even a tiny problem. Weight seems to be the only issue. You can put a lot of stuff into a big bag!

Well, now I have both the 90 and the 120 and still having trouble deciding which to send back... I also upgraded my carry on from a laptop backpack that barely fit my regs + computer + GoPro + torches--to an Osprey Farpoint 40. I think that should give me enough space to pack most of my clothes and free up more gear space in the 90 duffel (presuming that's what I go with).

Back
Top Bottom