Other areas of interest.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

syntaxerrorsix

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
Does anyone have any interesting links on solo diving or recommended reading? I've read back a bit on SB, but it seems this is one of the few areas anyone seems interested in discussing the reality of it. Just looking for other perspectives. Thanks.

Does anyone have any interesting links on solo diving or recommended reading? I've read back a bit on SB, but it seems this is one of the few areas anyone seems interested in discussing the reality of it. Just looking for other perspectives. Thanks.

I read in the DIR forum that solo diving is like masturbation, normal diving is like heterosexual sex, and Team diving is like a big gay orgy.

I read in the DIR forum that solo diving is like masturbation, normal diving is like heterosexual sex, and Team diving is like a big gay orgy.

So are you recommending the DIR forum for reading up on Solo diving?

I whole heartedly reccomend the DIR forum for solo diving research. If you take away the cool-ade you get left with decision making, gass planning and management, redundancy, and the realization that you do not need back-up gas for your non-existant buddy.
Eric

IMO .... would not recommend the SB DIR forum to anyone wanting to learn anything about diving..... :D

I never recommend 'solo' diving to anyone....it is a personal choice, but here is a tid-bit of info......

"Solo diving is the practice of scuba diving alone without a "dive buddy".

Solo diving is considered technical diving, and for excellent reasons. Most certification agencies discourage solo diving; rather they teach the buddy diving safety system. Some divers, such as instructors, are inadvertently solo divers because they dive with buddies who may not be capable of rescuing them.

Safe solo divers must be self sufficient, well trained, prepared and practised. They should have a completely redundant set of all life support equipment. In addition, the responsible solo divers adhere to a very conservative dive profile, both in depth and level of difficulty. Unlike the buddy system, which encourages divers to rely on others in the event of an emergency, solo diving encourages divers prepare themselves to overcome emergencies by their own means. The divers who engage in solo diving are typically those who are experienced and equipped enough to handle problems themselves. Lack of trust for other divers is often cited, ie; the buddy is more likely to experience problems than diver.

While there are potential hazards involved with solo diving, most of these can be planned for and mitigated by the proper use of redundancy in equipment. In technical diving, where redundancy is standard, self-sufficiency is taught more strongly. In many situations if a diver has a problem other divers may not have sufficient gas to complete the dive for both. This is especially true of cave diving where stressful situations can vastly increase gas consumption and there is no option to skip decompression. A solo diver would need a second, independent source of air, a complete second set of regulators (both first and second stage regulators, and optionally an air gauge for his/her alternate source of air). As with all scuba equipment, the diver must be intimately familiar with this configuration and have the ability to access any of the equipment easily if it should be needed.

There has been much controversy over the relative safety and merits of solo diving. Very little statistics currently exist regarding the impact of solo diving on safety. This is primarily due to the fact that it is a relatively new area of discussion in the diving community, as well as the fact that it is and has been frowned upon in general by most Dive Certification Agencies. Until such statistics can be gathered and studied, it is safe to say that it is an area that will remain a focus of some controversy. [1]

1. ^ http://www.bsac.org/page/658/solo-diving.htm"

Did I miss a memo? I thought you were a mod on the hard core DIR forum. Why do you have a Solo Diver byline?

I appreciate all the info. To be clear, most of my solo dives would actually fall under "same ocean diving." While I am a fan of masturbation, I'm always game for heterosexual sex I just don't depend on it to ever happen and it's not always that good.. I do carry redundant equipment and dive my plans. Thanks for the replies so far.

Well I would say this is likely the best place you could go to learn about solo diving. There is a book on solo diving, but from what I've read a lot of people think it's pretty weak, and I've yet to come across any other websites that discuss it openly like we do. I think this is your best place to go.

Jim

Back
Top Bottom