Other than RTFM... what is the best way to...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

flyingfrawg

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Hey all,

Somehow a DC1000 Elite kit showed up in my inbox, moving an Oly Stylus 790 with PT041 used mostly for snorking to a back-up role. The thread asks it all: I am looking for some good "Quick Start" tips. I have a trip to OZ coming up in December and limited time before to dive and play underwater. What I need is to tap your collective knowledge to minimize futzing time. All constructive tips welcome!

Specific Tips I'd like to collect:
-setup tips for dummies
-tips for testing new unit and flash
-tips for setting up macro, micro, and w/a
-tips on how best to use it on land
finally "secrets" to try (that you are willing to share)

Thanks in advance!
flyingfrawg

"Somehow"??? I hate you...and by hate, I mean envy :p

Hope you have better luck than i've had with mine. I'm not saying sealife is bad, just got a lemon, I think. Most people on here are posting great images/video. The thing does lend itself to easy, very easy setup though.

For land, have it out of it's case and don't be afraid to use the sports mode. I was being paddled in a canoe in Costa Rica and all my pics in standard mode were very fuzzy do to the minimal movement of the canoe, but sports mode fixed it very well. There is no flash in sports mode though. I'm very impressed by the camera (except my bugs with no sound and a red line in the images).

I read your posts about the red line issue. I am kinda surprised about that. Had you asked the SL folks about it? Sounds like a warranty coverable issue. There are a few folks that seem "disaffected" with SL, but the pictures and the posts here (and some outside reviews) are generally good. Doing this was cheaper than trying to get an Ikelite case and flash system for my trusty old Nikon D-100, which I have seen others use for UW photos to really nice results... but 3500 for a case and flash for a casual diver did not seem reasonable. :p

Yah, called them up and the woman I spoke with was extremely friendly and gave me an RMA number to send it in, yay!

lemme know how it goes.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom