ottawa tech training ??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DS1

Contributor
Reaction score
does anyone have any recomendation for a good place to get some good technical instructors??

Thanks

You are going to have to travel to do your dives anyways so don't let the geography be your deciding factor.

Do some research on the instructors and their teaching styles. Find the right match for yourself. Everyone learns differently. Some instructros travel arround for teaching as well.
Meet with the instructors and make sure that they think you are ready as well. As posted above Dan at Northern Tech comes highly reccomended as does some of the instructors at Dolphinos. I have seen some of Steve Lewis' stundents and was impressed with their skills as well and I think he has been teaching out of Mallorytown and Burton's in Ottawa (but that could have been a one time thing). Norm Hughes (Scuba Repair Centre) is another technical instructor in the Ottawa area. There is also Mike Fowler out of ABUCS Scuba in Brockville. There are many more but you can't go wrong with any of the above.

Bubble Boy once bubbled...
You are going to have to travel to do your dives anyways so don't let the geography be your deciding factor.

... I have seen some of Steve Lewis' stundents and was impressed with their skills as well and I think he has been teaching out of Mallorytown and Burton's in Ottawa (but that could have been a one time thing)...

Hey BB... thanks. Glad someone's paying attention :D

Being an independant does mean that I travel a lot and teach all over. I did a deco class for Burtons and often use Dan's Mallorytown shop as a base of ops for the 1000 islands.

DS1... if you are interested in finding out more about what's on offer, PM me.

Doppler

Steve is the man to talk to! IMHO, NOBODY can top him for quality in teaching.

canuckdiver once bubbled...
Steve is the man to talk to! IMHO, NOBODY can top him for quality in teaching.

That is just too funny.

DS1
when you are getting recommendations consider the source. I have recieved instruction from a number of agencies including TDI and GUE. I have had the pleasure of training with 2 different TDI instructors and 3 different GUE instructors. There is not a training agency out there that can hold a candle to GUE.
REad Scott account of his first experience with GUE and Dan from NTD

http://www.scubaboard.com/t31232/s.html

If you are interested, come out diving with us and we will be happy to show you the difference.

Take Care
sJ

sisterJ once bubbled...

That is just too funny.

sJ

Just curious - are you saying that the fact someone praises SL as an instructor is funny? Or are you amused that anyone would praise a non-GUE instructor? Granted I have seen the whole Star Wars bar scene out there and I can name the agencies, but there are independent instructors who could probably dive rings around a lot of GUE instructors. I know a few myself.:confused:

tektom once bubbled...

u
Just curious - are you saying that the fact someone praises SL as an instructor is funny? Or are you amused that anyone would praise a non-GUE instructor? Granted I have seen the whole Star Wars bar scene out there and I can name the agencies, but there are independent instructors who could probably dive rings around a lot of GUE instructors. I know a few myself.:confused:

Dear Curious

You are funny as well.

Starting with your post, it is amusing that you would take one line out of my original post here and make it into what you want it to be. Instead of reading the entire post for what it was.

What I find amusing in my original post is that canuck diver made such an absolute and unequivocal statement regarding tech diving instruction and has yet to have any experience regarding the subject other then to sit in on one of Dopplers skills course a few weekends past. His limited bereath of knowlegde on the subject does not make for an accurate or critical statement. And that is too funny.

As I stated in my original post, you should consider the source when taking recommendation from people. My opinion is based on experience. GUE standards and quality of training are far beyond that which I have experienced through TDI. This is based on experience and it is not limited to a single instructor experience from either agency.

I hope you can find the time to explain what independant instructors are. As far as I am aware all instructors are associated with one training agency or another.

It would also be appreciated if you post a list of instructors you believe are better then the rest. There is little loyality here, if I can get better training elsewhere, I would be interested in checking out their 'A' game and seeing what I can glean from it. Please do not hold back.

sJ

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom