Our first Ocean Dive!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

padrogj

Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hello Everyone!

Just wanted to share my first experiences doing our first ocean dives with my two sons. It was also our first boat dive as well. The boat left out of Dana Point so we spent our time a little off of Salt Creek area. IT WAS AWESOME!!! The visibility was real crappy due to the red-tides. It was really surgy, so we were getting tossed around both on the boat and under water. We went down to about 50-60 feet. I was just happy to be there actually taking my first breaths out of a regulator in the ocean! I didnt care about what the conditions were!
I can just imagine what an awesome experience it will be when I actually get to dive in decent conditions, Catalina perhaps.
The only thing that I regret is not certifiying sooner. I guess better late than never, huh?
We still have a little way to go to complete the check-off dives, but looking forward to it. These first two dives are great for just getting a good feel being in the ocean. I cannot emphasize enough about just relaxing and trusting your gear. I'm stoked!
Gary

Good for all of you! If you're that stoked over poor viz and surge, then you're right, in good conditions you're going to be off the chart.

You'll love Catalina

Yeah, I've actually snorkled there a few times and envied all the divers that I saw beneath me. I can just imagine how it feels to be on the bottom!

Oh, congratulations! You are in such a wonderful place to be a diver, red tides and weather notwithstanding. The Catalina dive park is a fantastic place to explore, full of life and easy to get in and out of. And when you have a bit more experience, you have the Channel Islands and the oil rigs and wrecks and all kinds of other great exploration ahead of you!

a good ocean dive in perfect visibility is something of magical porportion. There is nothing like sticking your face in the water and seeing the bottom yet it may be well over 100 feet deep :) Id have to say diving in the ocean really does give you the perception of flying over Gods creations :)

you are going to love diving the Channel Islands!!! We have been diving all over the world in the past 10 yrs and we can honestly say that Calif diving is some of the best. The kelp forests are amazing! Do try to get to Catalina and shore dive, plus do some boat dive trips. We recommend the Great Escape out of LA area (I have videos on my website) and the Peace and Spectre out of Ventura (ditto, more videos). Once you get a bit more experience, be sure to dive an oil rig out there too. I am really jealous - wish we lived closer so we could dive there more than once a year.

My Calif diving videos from past few years: Scuba Diving in California, Channel Islands on Vimeo

robin:D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom