Our first trip to Curacao is coming up

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi JenM,

The damage after Omar on the reefs actually varies from place to place. At Playa Kalki, expect exactly what you describe - quite a bit of sand on the coral, especially in the shallow areas. The more you dive to right, the better it gets.

Today I dove Playa Jeremy, and it looked almost the same like before the storm. Playa Piscadó has one area that is severely damaged and littered with garbage that was washed into the sea as well as with parts of sunken boats and the fishermen's pier. I am greatful that many diving guests staying at All West Apartments are helping us to clean up the mess. Anyhow, also there to the left and right of the damaged area it looks pretty ok.

Our facilities at OEW are all intact. Only the lower platform on our pier is gone.
I am afraid the scooters you write about we don't have them running anymore.

Feel welcome to come and see us when you are on the island, we will be there :)

Kind regards from Curacao
Andreas

I have no experience with Ocean Encounters in town because we never stay or dive in Willemstad. However, for anyone going up to the West End for the day or staying up there, I highly recommend Ocean Encounters West. Nice people, nice boat, nice facilities, great house reef.

Andreas - We'll be in Curacao next week (at Habitat) and are thinking about renting a car for a few days. If we do, we'll definitely arrange to do a few dives with you. We stayed at the Lodge Kura Hulanda two years ago and loved it, but just couldn't swing their rates this time. Do you still have those scooters to rent? My husband had a great time with one of them last time.

Also, I was wondering if you can give us an update on the storm damage in your area on the reefs and whether there was any damage to your dock/facilities. We are expecting some sand on the reef, knocked over sponges, etc, but are hoping it isn't too bad especially as you get deeper.

Hi Dr Rick,

If you want to get a copy of our boat dive schedule, please send an email to diveshop@oceanencounterswest.com.

Looking forward to seeing you on Curacao
Andreas

Hey, Don; is that a genuine offer? I'll spring for the evening cocktails/beer if it is. :D

Thanks everyone for all the great advice; I really appreciate it. Andreas, you've really got my interest piqued; I'll have to talk it over with the lil' lady, but I'm hoping we'll get in at least one day with you.

Thanks again, and if anyone else has some thoughts or ideas (or an offer to help me schlep my wife's gear around), please post.

Only 11 more days to go...

Hey Dr. Rick!!

My name is Bryan Horne and I am one of the managers at Ocean Encounters.

As pointed out... our Lions Dive Operation is certainly a busy location for us, no doubt. However customer safety, service and satisfaction is always our priority.

Having said that, Andreas is perfectly right in saying that if you do not want to be part of the group being lead by the DM, all you have to do is ask. We have no issue with experienced divers diving on their own. We dive east and west, and would love to have you dive with us. So drop me a line to my email address and we will look after you. We can also make arrangements for you at our OE West location. No problem!

Bryan Horne: breezes@oceanencounters.com

Not to mention... convenience and proximity to our location!!

Hope to see you soon!!

Best regards,
Bryan

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom