Out of Air on Final Open Water Cert. Dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I actually had a very interesting discussion recently with my original OW instructor regarding the management of freeflows. I had told him that mine was managed with an air-share and (eventually) turning off the valve. He was very unhappy about that approach, because he felt that turning off the valve removed the diver's access to the remaining air in his tank, and that was dangerous.

The conclusion we came to is that that approach to a freeflow works in concert with a number of other things -- a readily available and alert buddy to donate, a team practiced in air-sharing and air-sharing ascents, and a diver who can access and manipulate his own valve, so that if something awful happened and he got pulled away from his buddy's supply, he'd be able to turn his own back on. (Failing that, being shallow enough to CESA.) If those things aren't true, the diver may be better off breathing off his alternate or even the free-flowing reg and making as rapid an ascent as is safe. Everything depends on the situation and the training of the divers.

TSandM:
I actually had a very interesting discussion recently with my original OW instructor regarding the management of freeflows. I had told him that mine was managed with an air-share and (eventually) turning off the valve. He was very unhappy about that approach, because he felt that turning off the valve removed the diver's access to the remaining air in his tank, and that was dangerous.
Tell your OW instructor that turning off the valve in a freeflow situation is perfectly acceptable (and probably the best idea, especially of no one else is around). It's called "feathering the valve"--had to do it numerous times for malfunctioning equipment drills.
If you start freeflowing uncontrollably or you blow a hose, high pressure seat, etc, and no one else is around (although you'd never leave your buddy, right? :wink:), continually turn the valve on and off to breathe as you ascend.
If your OW instructor has issues with turning off the valve while buddies are around, make sure he knows that you can reach your valve at all times and can turn it on if required. :)

harleyxx:
Our instructor had taught us to let him know what our air supply was when he pointed to his SPG. 1 finger for 1000 lbs 2 fingers for 2,000...ect. Is there a standard sign for 500lbs? like half a finger? or maybe just a low air sign? just curious

This link here shows what I consider to be the easiest, least ambiguous system for conveying numbers underwater.

There's no counting involved (as in flashing fingers repeatedly where it's easy to miss a "flash" or two and see a totally different number) and you can do it with one hand which might just be very convenient depending on the situation. 500psi would be a 5 and two "0"s, for example.

I too have had to overcome a tendency to want to fix my own problems myself, which can be a good thing to a point, but when you're down there teamed or buddied up with others, the best (and very often safest) thing to do is act like it.

Lastly, it sure sounds like you kept a clear head and handled things awfully well for having to deal with so much during your OW chekout.

Well done,

Adam

Oh yeah, you'll probably hear it a lot around here, but a long hose with your backup on a bungee necklace really is a GREAT setup in all sorts of ways, in my opinion.

Johnoly:
I thought that Blue Springs state park makes you surrender your actual C-Card at the front entrance of the park. It is usually clipped to your signed waiver and a copy of your paid receipt and then you pick it up on your way out.

Did you already have your C-Card, and already completed the course before entering the park or did the instructor leave temporary cards filled out with the gate office? Sounds like you handled the air situation pretty well! Congrats!

Nope! Instructors can sign for students.

neophyte:
This link here shows what I consider to be the easiest, least ambiguous system for conveying numbers underwater.

Thanks for the link. I showed this to my daughter who was also certified with me & we are going to use this when we dive together.

You couldn't be more welcome.

I still have trouble believing just how much I've gotten from this site and am thrilled to get the chance to get to help.

Keep having fun.

I'm just going to add my $.02 that you did a very good job of maintaining your cool.

A "Cave Diver" ran into you? Hmmmm Makes me wonder about that divers training? I would think a Cave diver would be trained to be aware of their surroundings enough not to crash onto you. (I am just rambling, you can't teach someone not to be Stupid)

theatis:
Great advice above but i also wanted to highlight another aspect.

I'm going through rescue training and your situation reinforces the dictum that we learn that diving accidents tend to start from small, easily correctable incidents that build up when compounded through a series of mistakes. Good for you that you DID NOT allow that to happen! As a hypothetical example, someone in the same situation could have panicked when they realized that they only had 500 PSI left; after all, we are supposed to finish the dive with a 500 reserve, right? Compounded by the fact that they are buddy-less and that their instructor seems to be otherwise occupied (!) they bolt to the surface and an easily correctable incident turns into an accident. You can add any number of variables such as holding one's breath etc.

Again, kudos to you for doing none of the above and remaining in control of the situation.

This was a great learning experience for me. Prior to this happening, I really had no idea how long 500 lbs of air would last. I kept thinking that I would finish the dive before my air ran out. I'm glad I decided ahead of time exactly what I was going to do if it happened. I don't know if I would have reacted the same way if my "out of air" happened unexpectedly.

All the advise and cautions given are greatly appreciated. I am going on a cruise to St. Marten & St. Thomas in Dec and am excited about my first salt water dive. My daughter will be my dive buddy so I want to be as safe as possible while still having fun.

I thought that training standards for most agencies say that training dives should not exceed 40'. Am I wrong in this? If so, why would the instructor have them this deep for in the first place?

Welcome to Padi training my friend. Congrats on surviving,..most do but I can't figure out how more don't given how poorly most classes are run.

I guess you can't get proper and safe training when the Instructor doesn't have much of a clue either.

CheatinDeath, indeed :wink:

Back
Top Bottom