Out of Air on Final Open Water Cert. Dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think the ASL would offer to many similar signs in Scuba - the 6 might appear to be 3, 9 looks a lot like the standard O.K.

Around here most use 1 finger per 100 psi ... not perfect but common. Personally I like the 1 handed numbering posted earlier...

I will make sure I learn the ASL though as I have been on group dives where as many as 4 different numbering systems were in use - I felt so bad for the DM ...

Walter:
ASL was developed around 1815 - 17. Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't cave divers develop their numbering system sometime after that?

I'm sure they did. However, you left out the part of my post where I elaborated on exactly what I meant there.

The signs for 1-5 were what I was describing as longstanding. I'd be willing to bet (most) anything I've got that people have been holding up fingers to indicate numbers and/or quantities for much, much longer. Doing so might very well predate written numbers and written (or even spoken) language. I have no idea, but it's certainly possible and it seems to come easily enough to most of us at a VERY young age.

Doing the same thing again, but with the hand's orientation changed seems to me less like reinventing the wheel than the ASL 6-9, where new and different things being done with the fingers are introduced.

I understand that we're largely arguing semantics at this point, and have got nothing against ASL. In fact I'm glad it exists and now and then think about picking some up for a few different reasons.

[(SEMI-)HIJACK]I've actually been looking through both ASL and "Baby Signs" books lately and find the idea of teaching some to my currently two month old son (in a few months) intriguing. There are plenty of people making claims that they can be a helpful bridge during the months where a child is plenty capable of communication, and has plenty to say, but isn't yet able to actually articulate spoken words. That has to be frustrating and it would be wonderful if it works...[/(SEMI-)HIJACK]

I just got some pics from the Dive at Blue Springs where I had the out of Air incident.
This was taken right afer the cave diver collided with me. This picture shows the rubber fastener for my Alt air, but my Alt Air must have drifted behind me. I was clueless. It does not appear to be free flowing at this time. Next time I will do an equipment check in the event of a collision with an object or another diver. I will also move the Alt Air to a better position like was suggested by someone in a previous post.

http://www.scubaboard.com/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/60285/cat/500/ppuser/69152

harleyxx:
I will also move the Alt Air to a better position like was suggested by someone in a previous post.

A long hose config fixes this issue. If the backup free flows it will bubble around your neck. If the long hose free flows you'll see it in your face.

Also, you just discovered that "octo holders" and pretty much every other kind of quick release suffers from a problem that it releases when you don't want it to and doesn't release when you do want it to. The long hose solves this issue by not using a quick release for the bungee'd necklace and by using your mouth as a quick release for the long hose reg itself (you can always open your mouth to release it, and if it gets kicked out accidentally you know immediately and will immediately fix the issue...)

Do you know of any pics that show the long hose & bungeed necklace configuration you are talking about? I am going to the dive shop today to get some equipment prices.

harleyxx:
Do you know of any pics that show the long hose & bungeed necklace configuration you are talking about? I am going to the dive shop today to get some equipment prices.

Because they set you up so well the first time?

I see the problem now.

Whatd'ya say you hold off buying anything until someone with a clue can talk to you and explain just what it is that might be worthy of purchasing, and why that might be so. Go home, do some homework, give it the sniff test, and then decide.

Thats what I'm trying to do here Scuba Steve. I appreciate all the help everyone has given me. I haven't purchaced any equipment from the dive shop yet except a mask.
Thanks

hey Harley, You are on the right path. I second the vote for the long hose.

Lot's of market politics in Scuba diving...just ask every question you think of and do what makes sense for yourself.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom