Out of the water?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

He-MaN

Registered
Reaction score
Can I use my UK SL4 and UK D8 out of the water?
Would the bulb burn if I do this because of its high temperature and no water to chill?

Thank you.

We have used our UK SL4s, 1500 and 1200 out of the water with no problem.

Many UW lights indeed rely on the water for cooling and will "fry" if used in air. However UK classifies the SL4 and D8 not only as dive lights , but also as industrial lights (see UK website) so my guess is that it is OK. Why not send UK an e-mail and ask them for confirmation?
:snorkel:ScubaRon

I´ll send UK an e-mail asking this and as soon as I have their answer I´ll paste it here.

Thank you.

You absolutely can. The SL4 only produces 5.5 watts and the D8 14 watts. That's not going to be nearly enough heat to do any damage to anything.

I have used my SL4 for setting up the dive campsite at night almost everytime and never fried a bulb..should be good to go.

jonnythan once bubbled...
You absolutely can. The SL4 only produces 5.5 watts and the D8 14 watts. That's not going to be nearly enough heat to do any damage to anything.
Where does that wisdom come from? Even a 1W bulb can generate enough heat to fry itself. It all depends on the heat dissipation. From the comments in this thread it appears that these 2 models are OK above water, but don't draw that conclusion based on the bulb wattage.
:snorkel:ScubaRon

jonnythan once bubbled...
Ikelite says not to use the 7.5 watt PCa light for more than 10 minutes while above water.

It does indeed get pretty warm after just a couple of minutes.

The PCa light has a smaller reflector than most, but it's better to actually read the instruction booklet (or to note that a light is sold for both above and below water service) than to jump to conclusions.

I have had a UK SL4 for quite a while, but I bought it as an unbreakable caving light. It has operated without problems out of the water.

Lyle

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom