Question Outboard Remote Control.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ana

Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
I'm out in the ocean, waiting for my turn to dive.

Is very nice out, and I'm just looking around the cabin at all the thing that we need to remove, replace, polish, sand, scrub.

And the remote control screams "I'm old"
PXL_20230121_160306712.jpg
A quick search, shows i can get a brand new in eBay for less than $150, but it comes with all the cables that go to the motor.

i figure if the thing malfunction, we would replace it and do what needs to be done,. Changing it just for the looks makes me wonder if I'm looking for problems by fixing something that isn't broken.

Anybody has update the outside case of this thing successfully?

$150 sounds like an aftermarket unit. You will be much better off sticking with what you have.

Anybody ?
Spray paint it gloss black and be done. Sometimes simple and nice are better than tear down, replace, adjust, frustration.

I'm out in the ocean, waiting for my turn to dive.
Howz V I Z ???
Got Bugs??

$150 sounds like an aftermarket unit. You will be much better off sticking with what you have.
I was surprised it was that inexpensive It looks like my exact model. But agree it looks suspicious.
Screenshot_20230121-130619.png

Spray paint it gloss black and be done. Sometimes simple and nice are better than tear down, replace, adjust, frustration.

Howz V I Z ???
Got Bugs??
May try that first. The last thing we need is create issues. We have been so fortunate with this boat.

Seas were and still are flat. Water temperature too cold for my taste (+/-76F) nice to comeback to a protected cabin to warm up.
Viz wasn't amazing but enough to get few bugs.
No complaints.

I agree with Johnoly and Tracy on this... As long as everything is operating smoothly like shifting easily, easily finding neutral, tilt/trim switch, kill switch, etc. Chances are if you ever do have a problem that it's more likely your cables than the control binnacle...

Unless you have a fly by wire outboard you will have cables for gear selection and throttle that need to be connected to the control box and motor, and properly adjusted so the start in gear protection works. They can be a bit fiddly

• Thanks
Reactions: Ana
The aftermarket ones are (often) direct copies of the original Yamaha, down to having a photocopy of the manual which says "Yamaha" inside. Their machining is poorer quality and the electronics less well made. Mine works "ok" although the kill switch was not properly functioning out of the box. I have a separate Fell remote kill switch so not a big deal to me. They are a huge pita to reassemble with lots of fiddly parts on the throttle idle lever.

Just for looks? I would leave it until it breaks.

• Thanks
Yeah i looked at the Chinese copies when it was time to replace my original Volvo control. Ended up buying a new/ old stock genuine Morse from Ebay for the same price. It's built like a tank and gives me confidence that I will not lose control while operating near divers, docks, other boats etc., which is important.

• Thanks
You know Ana, if that thing is catching your eye, replacing it isn't such a bad idea.
I stay away from eBay though and prefer to deal with Amazon since the returns are sooooo easier.
Make sure it's the Yamaha 703 factory part.
While you're mucking around with that, check your fuel lines if you're running ethanol through 'em.

• Thanks
Thanks everyone.
We are moving so slow with these rehab, is hard to justify. A few hours of sanding during the week and then we wrap everything and bring back the gear to go diving.
And these days even slower It's been so hot, anything more than 45 minutes working inside the cabin is just too miserable. On the flip side the seas have been wonderful, so we've been diving much more than our typical one or two dives a week

I think the old glue from the carpet is actually tired of waiting for us,v and falling on it's own. Those bulkheads and headliners will eventually get done.
As far as the control for the outboard, we bought the cheap Chinese one. The plan is to just cannibalize the portions of the box assembly that can be easily change without messing with the real controls. Anything else will be sanded and painted.

We do want to bring the boat to its original shine but without jeopardizing performance. The philosophy "if not broken don't fix it" is definitely a rule for us.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom