Outdoor Adventure Show

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

How's the "educating jetski owners about what a dive flag means" going?

I went down Saturday, connected with Mael and we chatted about diving, boats and many other subjects. There's not as much there as I'd like to see, but you have to consider, the shops are there mostly to introduce diving to non-divers, not entertain we who already dive. So all in all, about what I expected and a pleasnat saturday afternoon.

Something from the OUC on dive flags would have been good. The time to really hit that, would be the boat show in January. I'm sure they could find someone who already has booth space to help out the cause. A magazine like GAM or The Winch come to mind or even better, Power Boating Canada. They often do a 'Show Issue", they might publish an short article on the subject. The Coast Guard, OPP, RCMP all have booths. All that would be needed is some signage and some literature.

Hi Ontwreckdiver.

'Saw your take on National Event Management's "Outdoor Adventure Show" this past weekend.

Question: When you said "I think OUC is on their own next year because this was my last", what did you mean by that?

In the "Scuba World" section of the show, we (OUC) had a booth and we also coordinated the Dive Demo tank.

We had a record number of OUC Members promoting at the OUC Booth, we had a record number of OUC Members putting on shows in the Demo Tank, and from what I could tell, attendance at the show was up all 3 days.

OUC does not have any control over the numbers of Scuba Exhibitors at the Show (that's between National Event Management and the community of scuba exhibitors) but in the areas we DO have control over (the OUC Booth and the OUC Demo Tank) you have my personal commitment that we'll do everything we can to make it worth your while to attend.

Thanks!

Raimund J. Krob
President
Ontario Underwater Council

416-283-0467
ouc.president@underwatercouncil.com
OR
raimund.krob@sympatico.ca

Raimund
I apologize for a misunderstanding because I wasn't clear in my post. I was tried from all the driving and standing. I meant that the Scuba World section of the show has been getting smaller. I realize that you have no control over it, but hope something can be done to turn it around. I think you are doing a great job expanding and building the OUC back up.

Hi Groundhog246 and Shoredivr.

At this year's Scuba World, Ontario Underwater Council dedicated an entire section of our booth to the Aviva Barth Memorial Project, a province-wide community-funded initiative we developed to increase awareness of the Scuba Diver Below flag within the Ontario boating community. (Aviva's family gave us permission to use her name, after she was struck and killed while diving at Big Bay Point in Lake Simcoe).

The initiative is comprised of a number of thrusts, all complementary, including but not limited to:
- Distribution of flyers to boaters
- Distribution of floating key fobs to boaters
- Installation of Boat-Launch-Ramp signs
- Articles in Boating Magazines
- Working with Transport Canada to improve the "Safe Boating Guide" and the Pleasure Craft Operators' License examinations (relative to awareness about the Scuba Diver Below flag)
- etc.

Three of the above thrusts were on display at the OUC booth, the SDS Booth, and the Transport Canada (Boating Safety) booth throughout the entire show, including the program binder.

If you want to know more about the program, or if you would like to help, please go to Ontario Underwater Council and go to the safety section. OUC Director of Sport Safety Dave Noble and myself would be extremely appreciative of any assistance you could lend to the project.

Thanks very much & 'look forward to hearing back from you!

Raimund J. Krob
President
Ontario Underwater Council

ouc.president@underwatercouncil.com
416-283-0467

Hmm. I stopped by the booth and didn't notice anything about dive flags!! Have you considered doing something at the next boat show?

And a pet peeve. The "Pleasure Craft Operators Card" is a certificate of proficiency, NOT a license. Just as your card for diving certification is not a license to dive. I've actually spoken to folks running the booths that offer testing and cards if you pass, who've approached me and asked if I have my "Boating License", with the comment, that if they don't know it's not a license, why would I take course with them, who knows what else they don't know. FWIW, I've had mine since 1998, along with my wife and 2 of my kids who got theirs in '99.

I think some effort needs to go into educating divers about boats. I perhaps have a different point of view, since I am a boater and diver. I find the majority of divers have little appreciation of how difficult it can be to see flags, buoys, etc from a boat. Last year I came within feet of sailing over the top of a small boat. There were two guys in a camouflage painted 14 footer sitting in the middle of the channel fishing. I spotted them when I saw a flash of bright colour when one of them cast. Their camo worked really well against the wooded shoreline. :)

Lastly, most dive flags are so small, that most boaters won't see them till they're closer than we'd like. If the boat is down wind, they won't see them at all. In a lot of cases, when they do see them, they will actually change course and approach until they can see clearly what the flag is, which is not what we want to happen. And the dive flag being red and white, which is also the colour of our national flag, it's not hard to see why many are confused. So, I tend to do my shore dives without a flag. When diving from my boat, I run up a flag that's 3 feet tall and can be seen from a good distance.

I don't want to appear all negative. I think the Aviva Barth Memorial Project is a very worthwhile endeavor and will see what I can do to help. Have you been in contact with the OMOA Ontario Marine Operators Association ? Most marinas are members, so it would be an efficient way to distribute signs, literature, etc. There is also the Canadian Power Squadron and The Ontario Sailing Association Ontario Sailing Association to which most yacht clubs in Ontario belong . Please note, the yacht club of which I am a member is around 30% power boats and the keel on my sailboat is 4 feet deep a friends draws 6 feet and that 2000 lbs traveling at 5 to 6 knots would be a very nasty hit and a complete surprise, as it's silent, so don't ignore that boating segment, which generally doesn't use boat ramps. I just visited the OUC web site from your link above. I am disappointed to note that there is NO reference to the project anywhere on your home page. You have to go to the safety page.

Feel free to take this to PM's or PM for my email address if you'd like to discuss my opinions in detail.
Kent

I agree that we should help to educate boaters on dive flags and protocols around them. This past weekend, NTD hosted an MED course. I think it was a fantastic idea, and I recommend anyone with a boating proficiency card to take one. There is so much information to be learned.

Back
Top Bottom