Outer Banks Diving report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

skipjen

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
We went to Cape Hatteras about 3 weeks ago and did a day of diving with Outer Banks Diving--here is my report:

I have been a diver for 14 years and I have done a lot of diving in a lot of places and countries. Never have I had such a poor experience as with them. We went to the dive shop the day before our scheduled dive, to go on and pay and fill out paper work. The price is pretty standard for diving in the States--except that they charge extra for air rental--I have always had to pay more for Nitrox--but my Brother-in-law also had an extra charge for his air tank rental--if I am paying for a 2 tank boat dive--why is 2 tanks not included in the price? We got to shop on time the next a.m. they showed up 20 minutes late. You have to get your tanks from the shop, take it to the boat, then load your tanks up on the boat. We were a group of 5 which meant taking a few people and the gear dropping it off at the dock in order to make room in the vehicle for the tanks--going back to get tanks and load them up to take them to the dock--then reverse and repeat after our day of diving in order to return the tanks to the shop--Really all of that is not that big of a deal---but I have never dove with an operation where I had to do that much work. I have never been talked to like a child during a dive briefing until my day of diving with them.The dive master was very condescending, my husband even commented "why is that guy talking to us like we are idiots?" They do not lift a finger to help with setting up or changing out your gear---I do not need their help--but as a female diver I have always been offered help from the crew with other dive operations--not them--but par for the course that day. Our dive was in 90 feet---after completing our dive we proceeded to have a 2 hour surface interval---I am not exagerating---2 HOURS!!! I later came to find out part of the reason for the extended surface interval was because one of their employees, not sure if he was a dive master or not (hard to tell when the crew has next to no interaction with you) went on a dive of his own to try to get a port hole off of the wreck. They have a sign on the boat that says "15-20% tip is customary and expected"--ha! I did actually tip them--not very much, but some---the only reason I gave any tip and the one positive thing that I can say about them is that another diver on the boat became distressed during their dive and popped to the surface with buddies in tow and whistles blowing---the crew did respond very promptly--that is the only reason I gave any tip. To me, a tip is to show appreciation of good customer service--good customer service was severely lacking.

I will say the diving was fabulous. I just wanted to share my experience with Outer Banks Diving--obviously others have dove with them and had a much better experience than I did--but I would NEVER dive with them again and I do not recommend them. I have since heard really good things about Dive Hatteras---so if I were to go back that is who I would try.

--Jen

Some of what you are describing is actually pretty normal for North Carolina diving. I've not done any diving there where tanks were included in the charter price, and I've always had to haul and setup my own gear (and prefer it that way). Two hour surface intervals are also not uncommon, although not for the reason you stated. Sorry you were disappointed though.

Some of what you are describing is actually pretty normal for North Carolina diving. I've not done any diving there where tanks were included in the charter price, and I've always had to haul and setup my own gear (and prefer it that way). Two hour surface intervals are also not uncommon, although not for the reason you stated. Sorry you were disappointed though.
Skipjen, SelkieDVM is correct- at least we are the same in NY. You are on your own- except for emergencies. You plan your dive, set up/change your own tanks, haul your own gear etc etc.. Very different than disney diving ie- caribbean,hawaii etc- they haul your gear on board, smile during the briefing, they change your tanks, even cut up fresh fruit. Ahhhh the spoils of disney diving. I never take my wife on dives in NY only disney diving- I'm just gald she dives with me at all! :))
FYI- even on disney dives you MUST check you/ur buddies gear ALWAYS! In hawaii after an initial tank air check they didnt turn valve on again- glad I can reach around and do it myslef in water- no panic. Learn from my errors not repeat them - if I was panicy person the result would have been much different. Good luck and keep diving maybe just do disney dives :)

Just to make sure, this was Outer Banks Diving, not Outer Banks Dive Center right? The crew up in Nags Head are fantastic. I don't have a lot of experience with the Hatteras crew, but this does surprise me nonetheless. Although, as others have said, you're on your own for the most part for NC diving. It's a totally different diving ideology.

I have dived with OBD many times, and it is different than at a tropical resort. You need to ask if you want help, and they gladly give it. They assume you don't need it if you don't ask. OBD always has a 2 hour surface interval, as many divers purposely go into deco time on those dives to allow more bottom time, since the dives are relatively deep. Sorry these things were not known to you before. I enjoy OBD because I don't feel "spoon-fed". Makes me feel challenged and I like that.

Sounds like the kind of op I want to use. Leave me alone and stay out of the way. And if the DM's grabbing a porthole that means I can bring my hammer, chisel, and prybar! YIPPIE! My kinda diving!

I am not a resort diver---and I don't mind handling my own stuff--having to lug all the tanks back and forth with 5 people in a vehicle was just the tip of the iceberg. My problem is with an extended surface interval for them to pilage a wreck, no customer service, being talked to like a child, and a sign stating that they expect a 15-20% tip---what am I supposed to be tipping for exactly?

Sorry to hear about your not so positive experience.

You were aboard the Flying Fish?

I have always had a very positive experience with them. They are a very laid back crew, but that I what I personally prefer. One time my wife was sooo seasick, but she couldn't vomit and they were awesome in trying to help her.

Sounds like you were diving the Dixie Arrow. A buddy of mine was down there with them a couple of weeks ago and, actually now that I think about it, it was a very similar time frame to yours, and they were trying to recover a port hole from the wreck as well.

I've dove with a variety of operators out of the OBX and NC Coast and I would describe, except for the customer service point, what you pointed out as typical of this region.

A 2 hours SI does not at all seem unreasonable for that area. Most of the dives are deep and I always end up with a bit of deco.

I always bring my own tanks and I'd be upset if someone messed with my gear.

My experience has been if you have a question, ask and they will gladly help you. Other than that, they're going to give you a dive briefing and cut you loose.

On the flip side I hate charters where they hold your hand the whole time. That makes me feel like a child.

Try other operators because as you pointed out, the diving out there is awesome!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom