Outraged !!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Big-t-2538

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
O.K...for those of you not into NASCAR, forget reading this post, b/c it isn't going to make much sense to you...

This new points system bites IMO...for those interested, look here or at my favorite site...here
here are the bigest downside issues IMO
  • You are rewarding people for having 10 good races.
  • You are cheating people out of a chance at finishing in the top 10 in points by adjusting the scores mid-season (case in point, Tony Stewart and Bill Elliot would have not finished in the top 10 last season...the two who were bumped from race 26 were Kurt Busch (11th) and Michael Waltrip (15th))
  • You have made the first 26 races of the season pointless for the guy who wins 6 & finished in the top 10 20 times before having his points "adjusted"
  • NASCAR claims this is not a "playoff"

My opinion...
how do you not call adjusting points such that the top 10 drivers are now only 50 points apart something other than a playoff? Yeah, you've given the guy with the "worst" season to this point a chance to win it all, but mathematically they had one before...if that isn't "playoff" - like I don't know what is.

How can you cheat someone out of the top 10 (which is a huge honor BTW) by telling the driver in 11th place behind the driver in 10th by 5 points after 26 races..."sorry...your chances are over, but the season isn't...good luck". The 6 to 10 spots are usually a lot tighter than the 1 to 5 spots at the end of the season...there's also the honor of being at the head table at the awards banquet in Nov/Dec and having the opportunity to speak. Not to mention the difference in guaranteed pay for 11th and 10th which is now 250K and 1 million respectively. Drivers fight for those spots all year long...now you've gone and cut 1/3rd of that excitement away...IMO that's the biggest problem they've created.

Some good points
  • They've rewarded wins
  • They're getting rid of damaged cars
  • They're keeping provisionals in the same manner

the first two points here have needed some addressing for some time now. I'd be more inclined to say that the best solution would be to bump the winner's points to 210, with larger gaps in decreasing size from there down (like 190 for 2nd, 172 for 3rd, 156 for 4th, etc.) until you hit say a 5 point differential, then do 5 the whole way out to 43rd place. That would reward finishing in the top 5 all season, but would also emphasize winning.

Anyway, just my opinion...I'm still cheesed about the top 10 being exclusive now.

-T

Yeah, I dont like it either... But, I am glad they changed the system, I just dont like how they did it.

Big-t-2538:
O.K...for those of you not into NASCAR, forget reading this post, b/c it isn't going to make much sense to you...

Thanks for the warning! :D

LUBOLD8431:
Yeah, I dont like it either... But, I am glad they changed the system, I just dont like how they did it.
Change was in order IMO, but this was by no means the best solution....I mean with this silly new Cell-phone name (which to me has no business in the racing world), it seems to me that a lot of this is "how can we market the end of the season better"...which is clearly a goal, but don't we already have something called the "bud shoot-out" and the <formerly named> "winston open"....they've just extended these principals to the latter 1/3rd of the seaosn and made them count for points as opposed to just braggin rights.

cornfed:
Thanks for the warning! :D

Man... sometimes I just can't get the gun out of the holster fast enough...

Blink and you miss it around here.

K

That I find it pointless so I doubt that I could care much less about how they award points.

These days I find most racing to be very boring. Only the tech shows are interesting.
:D

You'd think that NEXCAR.. I mean NASTEL... Grrrrrrrr.. NASCAR brought to you by NEXTEL (.washing mouth out with turpintine after that blasphemous utterance.) would be looking at that incredible new thing called the BCS for College Football.

The only change I think NASCAR needs is to limit caution flags. Someone getting a flat shouldn't warrant a caution for 8 laps!

Hey I don't know anything about spectator sports and I'm assuming that is what NASCAR is... but I just learned that they are thinking of building a NASCAR track right here... if they can find a suitable 500 acre parcel.

NASCAR is 100,000 people standing next to a fence watching a bunch of hillbillies driving around in a circle. lol

CBulla:
The only change I think NASCAR needs is to limit caution flags. Someone getting a flat shouldn't warrant a caution for 8 laps!
My opinion ( I know you are all shocked I have an opinion on this by the way) on that is as follows...

Cautions and cleaning up after them is fine....if it takes 8 laps, fine, but those 8 laps shouldn't count towards the race total. My biggest concern in NASCAR truly is Driver safety...if it takes them that long to clean up, that's what it takes. I like the new caution rule of not racing back to the yellow flag...the only thing I wish they'd really do is go to soft walls in the turns for the tracks that warrant it (places like bristol and road courses where speed isn't as big of an issue can be absolved).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom