Ovarian Cysts

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

annasea

Contributor
Reaction score
Since this women's subforum is nondiving and I don't know anyone who has had similar issues, I thought I'd try here...

A couple of months ago, I had sharp abdominal pains that lasted through most of the night in addition to a short bout of night-time chills. The pain had subsided by morning but I was left with a 'stitch'-like sensation on my right side when walking so the next morning I went to Emergency on the advice of a walk-in clinic doctor who thought it was my appendix.

While there, I had an abdominal ultrasound and a CT scan which revealed that my appendix was "abnormal." I was admitted to the hospital, kept for observation for 3 days, and treated with antibiotics during and afterwards.

Since then I've experienced intense abdominal pain with a feeling of faintness twice, the most recent one a few days ago. Both of these episodes passed rather quickly as compared to the first one, but I thought it prudent to get them checked out.

I went to another walk-in clinic today (my GP is on holidays) and based on these 3 episodes in addition to some other info provided, the doctor suspects ovarian cysts. I now have an appointment for a pelvic ultrasound but it's not until the beginning of February. She advised a return trip to Emergency if anything else happens before the US appointment.

Because I have a 'healthy' skepticism of healthcare, I've been googling around looking for info on ovarian cysts. After reading various allegedly reputable websites, I have to say I much prefer the initial diagnosis of appendicitis. :(

I'd greatly appreciate responses from those with firsthand experience. Feel free PM me if you'd rather not post publicly. Thank you.

Many years ago, I had to have emergency surgery to remove a bleeding ovarian cyst that was over 8 cm in diameter by the time they took it out. The pain was intense and debilitating, but intermittent. In my case, however, I went from the first episode of pain to recovering from surgery within 12 hours. They also initially thought I had appendicitis, and it was ultimately a pelvic ultrasound that yielded the diagnosis. They were able to preserve most of the affected ovary.

Obviously YMMV and hopefully your situation isn't as urgent. Good luck and sorry you're having to go through this, I can definitely sympathize.

Last edited:
Sorry to hear that. I had a similar experience to Selkie about 10 years ago... suspected appendicitis, turned out to be a 24lb cyst... yeah, I know, but I'd thought I was just getting fat! The good news is other than an appropriately sized scar and one less ovary, I've had zero problems since.

I actually know a strangely high number of women in who've had similar problems (mainly in their mid 20's to mid 30's) - and all of them were fine after the cyst was removed. I think it depends on the size and position of the cyst as to whether the ovary needs to be removed as well. To the best of my knowledge, most cases of ovarian cysts are not dramatic or require surgery - they just kind of come and go on their own. Sounds like you might be somewhere between the two extremes though.

Best of luck, sorry I don't have more useful information for you, but you're definitely not alone in this!

I think you should see a doctor that specializes in natural bioidentical hormones and get on some compounded progesterone (or Prometrium) and see if they will resolve.

Back
Top Bottom