Oversensitive or not?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Halthron

Contributor
Reaction score
Today I went diving with a shop I had been diving with once before. The first dive was nice and on the SI we agreed to a dive after lunch. On the second dive, I saw one of the divers chasing a puffer fish around and a bit later saw two of the divers tossing around something that I'm still looking up the name to. I spoke with the DM at lunch and expressed my displeasure with their actions.

Where do we draw the line with interaction with the environment? Yes, that's a hypothetical question. Simply entering the environment has an affect on the sea life living there and while the above actions aren't nearly as bad as vandalizing coral, where do we draw the line? Where is the line that changes you from irritated to complaining to the DM?

I didn't do the third dive with the group, I didn't feel like I'd enjoy it if all I did was expect for them to poke, prod and chase.

The people in question were at a different resort and meeting up again in the afternoon. I left before they arrived so am unsure if he talked to them.

Ignorant people are everywhere! the problem is that the DM has no authority to really stop the behavior because the DM does not wear a badge....One can voice their opinion and that is it.. I had someone do this when I was in Phuket so I went above him and turned off his air it was funny! anyway I turned it back on and shook my finger at him. When we were back on the boat he asked why did I &**(&* with his air! I asked him how it felt when someone messed with HIS enviroment! Of course there will be "some" people that will chime in and said what I did was unsafe and wrong whatever, don't waste your breath cause I really don't care..

Halthron:
On the second dive, I saw one of the divers chasing a puffer fish around and a bit later saw two of the divers tossing around something that I'm still looking up the name to.
Where do we draw the line with interaction with the environment?
I didn't do the third dive with the group, I didn't feel like I'd enjoy it if all I did was expect for them to poke, prod and chase.

In my opinion way too many divers (often "experienced") are having way too little respect for the underwater world and feel they need to poke, chase and trash the marinelife during their dive. Give them a camera and they will even be worse. Quite often they are unable to distinquish live vs dead coral and will cling on to anything they can get their hands on.
Please do not hesitate anytime you see a diver doing something "wrong" to point out their irresponsible behaviour to them (regardless if they are in your group yes or no) either immediately underwater (handsignals and/or using slate) or on the surface. Also talk to the DM and let him/her talk to the diver(s) as well.
By NOT letting those divers know that what they are doing isn't right they probably will do the same things the next time they're underwater.

SteveDiver:
Ignorant people are everywhere! the problem is that the DM has no authority to really stop the behavior because the DM does not wear a badge....One can voice their opinion and that is it.. I had someone do this when I was in Phuket so I went above him and turned off his air it was funny! anyway I turned it back on and shook my finger at him. When we were back on the boat he asked why did I &**(&* with his air! I asked him how it felt when someone messed with HIS enviroment! Of course there will be "some" people that will chime in and said what I did was unsafe and wrong whatever, don't waste your breath cause I really don't care..

Brilliant, absolutely brilliant - I'm 100% in your camp (not in a brokeback way, of course...):wink:

thepurplehammerhead:
Brilliant, absolutely brilliant - I'm 100% in your camp (not in a brokeback way, of course...):wink:
u Sure?

I'd say "hey, $65.00 for a two tank dive, but only 1.99 worth of viewing because glove boy cant keep his hands off the reef"

it's sad, I have seen this too, and the more and more spots that cater to divers, the more we'll see the reef suffer. it should be part of every dive briefing.

"Please folks, dont touch, harrass, or look at the reef wrong or with intent to do it harm, if this action occurs you will lose your right to the 2nd tank, and be asked not to come back"

pretty strong I know, but if everyone keeps touching the reef, and killing it, the dive shop, its employees, and customers are going to be out of luck..

you break it, you pay for it, with your future as a diver at this spot..

my .02

they should have reef harrasser c-cards.. maybe PADI can do a spec.

it reminds me of an article I just read about sting ray city,

"hey folks I am a padi pro, and have been trained in harrassing/feeding/riding marine wildlife for your veiwing pleasure"

Back
Top Bottom